PDA

View Full Version : Gah

Jason Strasser
06-22-2004, 02:12 PM
This hand probably has a mathematical answer, but I believe its more complicated due to stack sizes and such.

Five handed $100 SNG paaaaaaaty poker (that's how you'd say it if you were from Baaaaaaston, right?)

I'm a bystander, I (T2000) fold rags UTG, big stack in MP folds (T5000), very unusual beggining to a hand on the bubble! Blinds are 100/200. Button has 550 left and goes all in. SB ~T1500 folds. BB has 900 chips before posting (so 700 chips now).

Call the 350 with any two? The button was a good aggressive player, could really be anything. He was probably in "push if its folded to me" with any 2 cards.

If the BB's stack is bigger, I would think this is an easy call, but how about in this spot? I'm not as good as I should be with math and all, is this an easy answer? Do you look at your cards if you are the BB to make this decision?

Potowame
06-22-2004, 02:51 PM
to me it seems kinda Boarderline, Just about the right amount to fold to. getting about 2.5 to 1 (I think is right) on your call , and if you call and lose you have one more hand to play, that "will" get called by the bb.
I would call with any A? or K? possible Q10s or QJs and of course any pair*. With more chips I fold and wait for a better position, without a good hand.
*I would make a loser call with 4 players , would be a tighter call with 5.

This may be wrong ,if so let me know so I can improve my game also HeHe.

Prickly Pete
06-22-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would call with any A? or K? possible Q10s or QJs and of course any pair*.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this is too tight here. Getting 2.5 to 1 from a player making a desperation allin is darn near any 2 cards. My only question is whether to fold the worst hands like 42o etc. A hand like T8o is an easy call imo.

HUSKER'66
06-22-2004, 04:39 PM
David S talks about situations like this in TPFAP. I'm not going to type all that he says, but look at pg.69 and pg. 70 under his all in strategy.

I will try to summerize though.

In his example he uses the scenario where you are in the BB and only have enough chips to call a raise.

Your cards are 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

All fold to the SB who raises without looking at his cards.

Should you call? (realize that this example is a LIMIT situation, but I think the scenario you describe is close)

He goes on to say definitely yes. Why?

Because a trey/deuce has a 32% chance of beating any two random cards and the BB in this example is getting 3/1 on the call. He also goes on to say that if a player raises you "in the dark" or is in a strategic situation where he could be raising with anything, you must call no matter what.

The only exception for folding here would be you have other small stacks that will blind out and bust before you, thus moving you up in the standings. (obviously talking MTT)

If you don't have the book.....get it. It's a must if you hope to improve your NL tournament play.

Hope this helped,

Husker

Potowame
06-22-2004, 04:40 PM
thanks for the reply Pete, this may be the reason that I have more 4th place finishes than I should.
Looking at from that prospective, if you had at least two overs of one of his cards you would be about 55% to 45% (10%) dog and that would in this case give you the correct odds to call. So, what do think of a say 78os cut off point of a call? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

gergery
06-22-2004, 05:36 PM
I probably call with any two. You need to go from 700 to >1500 (SB) to make money anyway so its worth some risks. You’re risking 350 to win 850 so 2:4 to 1 on your money makes this correct on pot odds even with 72o unless BB has a pair >77.

I might stop to ask what I thought the button would do with 77-AA and see if I could narrow his range of hands down.

Here’s a question: under what circumstances would it be best for the button to flatcall and then push no matter what the flop (ie. stop n go), instead of pushing preflop here?

--Greg

ZeeJustin
06-22-2004, 06:05 PM
I do NOT call with any 2. Any chip gained from this endeavor is less valuable than any chip lost. If you fold this hand, you are still in a position where you can raise and possibly steal the blinds. If you lose this hand, the BB is never folding to you.

Mathematically, a call w/ 32o is +chip ev, but -$ ev (in relation to folding.)

That said, I would still call with a very wide range of hands, most likely including T2o and 92s, 54s and 75o.

gergery
06-29-2004, 05:07 AM
That's very helpful --hadn't thought about it that way.

--greg