PDA

View Full Version : Binion's Dealers demand Clean Litter Boxes

05-22-2002, 01:43 PM
What are these people, Becky's helpless pets?

This story so illustrates the difference between risk takers and residual claimants (people who are unsure if the amount left after all salary people have been paid will be positive, negative, or zero), and your average sap, who would be happier living in Cuba, with universal healthcare coverage.

If you are going to spend your life going around blaming someone else for the fact that you are broke, rest assured, you will not likely ever have more than a few months' rent in the bank. If these dealers want a stake in the prize pool, they can buy in like anyone else.

eLROY

05-22-2002, 02:33 PM
i especially like this line

"If these dealers want a stake in the prize pool, they can buy in like anyone else. "

05-22-2002, 03:45 PM
Poker is designed specifically to prevent the shark from killing the fish all at once, soft-playing is built in. Thanks to the fact that any two cards can win, anyone who plays poker with even a modicum of sense will go broke much more slowly than if he went hog wild at the slots.

It is therefore my contention that poker is not a negative-sum game, a game built on the backs of a million losers. Poker is not a high-speed wallet-vacuum like horse racing. Rather, I view poker as like college, teaching people to control their emotions, to re-think their arrogance, to contemplate game theory, to learn how the world works.

People say athetics, and losing, helps kids build character and teamwork traits. And I say there is no better anecdote illustrating the value of competition than OJ walking, and Mike Milken paying a $500 million fine for assisting in the preparation of a "false tax return," to the extent he promised his client to find a winning trade next year to make up for a lose this year.

There is no bigger fan of poker than me, and not in spite of the million losers, but specifically because of the million losers. Whether as a farmer, a fisherman, or a warrior, man grew up as a gambler. The moment he starts thinking the world comes ready-made on a platter, is when he starts pointing the finger at someone else for taking it away.

Poker: the sport that teaches orindary people, real people, how to be the very best they can be. Poker teaches people how to win, in the face of a million whiners trying to stop them.

eLROY

05-22-2002, 05:14 PM