PDA

View Full Version : Played too slowly?

Sam T.
06-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Comments appreciated...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">SB (t3090)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t3075)</font>
Button (t1835)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="blue">Great. At least they're sooted. Better get my cursor over to "Fold." </font>
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t800) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="blue">Yum, the big blind special! I'm going to bust this guy. </font>

SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, SB calls t400.

<font color="green">Too small a bet here? </font>

Turn: (t1600) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

<font color="blue">Okay, turn up the pressure a bit. </font>

SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1200</font>, SB calls t1200.
<font color="blue">Persistent little guy. </font>

River: (t4000) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="blue">Oh, no. </font>

SB checks, Hero checks.

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 3c Ac (two pair, jacks and threes).
Hero shows 2d 3d (two pair, jacks and threes).
Outcome: SB wins t4000. </font>

Final Pot: t4000
<font color="green">Main Pot: t4000 (t4000), between SB and Hero.</font>

Hood
06-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Yes, I think you did play this too slowly on the flop. Bottom two pair is a good hand, but very vulnerable - either the board pairing (the other card pairing on the turn, or the turn card pairing on the river), or opponent drawing his top pair to two pair. I would have bet the pot on the flop.

Saying that, you might have lost it anyway. If he's willing to call 1200 on the turn with nothing but a pair of threes, he would probably have been happy to call T400 bet on the flop.

Jason Strasser
06-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Generally when people ask if they played too slowly, they did. I think you didn't play this too slowly, but I think you could've played it better.

Preflop fine, although against some opponents I will push here, especially those that limp/fold for a living.

On the flop, I'd make a slightly larger bet, 600, but thats me. I have a reasoning for this bet as well, its not just a number. Its a good amount where if I decide to push on the turn, it will be a large bet, but not an extreme overbet. In your case, the pot was 1600 on the turn, and you had ~2200 in chips. I prefer to have 2000 in the pot, with ~2000 in chips, making my bet a pot sized bet.

I under no circumstances will leave myself with one chip on the turn. If I bet, I can't fold after I bet, so I will push. You made a "milking" bet with bottom two pair. Thats not good.

That's how I'd play the hand, I'm fairly sure you'd have the same results, but I think you could've lost your stack with more elegance /images/graemlins/grin.gif.