PDA

View Full Version : Going to Aruba!

Deelah
06-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi!
I just won my way into this years WPT tournament in Aruba. I have never played in a WPT event before and if anyone has any advice on anything it would be great! I play mostly online and have won about $100.000 this year so Im no beginner but still this is something new.

Who has been in Aruba before - something special to think of?

Thanks in advance

Filip
06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Gratz to the win!

Aruba is a very nice place in my oponion. Cant think of something special to say except that if you like meat you should have dinner at the Amazonia.

Good Luck in WPT.

bouh
06-22-2004, 09:53 AM
congrats !
only thing I think about is : DON'T forget your camera !! Shana in bikini ... huummmmm =)

Deelah
06-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Thank you guys! I´ll try that meat.
And yes, the camera will follow to the island. I´ve got two goals with the trip. One is to make it to the final table, the other has something to do with Shana.. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tyler Durden
06-22-2004, 10:44 PM
On which site did you win your seat? Or did you win it in a B&M?

toots
06-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Just don't marry anyone.

Brain
06-22-2004, 11:48 PM
man, you beat me to it. story of my week: 2nd-best hands and comments. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tosh
06-22-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

only thing I think about is : DON'T forget your camera !! Shana in bikini ... huummmmm =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she looks better without it to be honest.

nummerfire
06-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Congrats with your seat.

When i was there the hold'em fixed limit side games
played, so you could choose between 1 sb or 1bb bet on the flop.

Also, do not miss the "Natural Bridge", even it is a tourist trap. In fact, the whole economy is based on tourists, so do not expect anything to be cheap.

Kim

Sundevils21
06-23-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just don't marry anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could an exception be made for Shana? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deelah
06-23-2004, 10:59 AM
I won it at Ultimate Bet. It was a $25 + rebuys tournament. 75 players, one prize.

Ghazban
06-23-2004, 11:37 AM
How was that tourney? I played one of the 100+9 Rebuy Aruba tourneys there last week and it was really wild. Lots of people at the table rebuying multiple times. I didn't have the bankroll for that (entered the tourney via a TEC I won in a freeroll) so, after a bad beat where an overpair spiked his set on the river to beat my flopped set of 8s, I was gone. I've been considering the $25 rebuy tourneys but haven't played one yet.

Toro
06-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Congrats, nice job

1. Tourney advice: Don't be intimidated. If you've made that much money on-line you got enough game to play with these guys.

2. Something special: Try el gauchos steak house

Filip
06-23-2004, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. Something special: Try el gauchos steak house

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that one was great too! Bah now i wanna go back to Aruba.......

Deelah
06-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Ok thank you Toro. I guess it is easy to be intimidated when Phil H. and Layne Flack are at the same table as me or something like that. But I´ll try, thanks for the advice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deelah
06-24-2004, 02:00 AM
I think the satellite was really soft. I made one rebuy and the add-on for a total fee of $75 and that was clearly enough. I had no maniacs at my table so my advice for you is to try this satellite. Good luck!

Ghazban
06-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Very tempting... I think I'll give one a try next time I'm not totally exhausted at the end of the day. I haven't been awake enough to play anything but cheap NL or 2/4 limit lately. Maybe I should call in sick to work just so I can nap at home until the evening's tourney /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

toots
06-24-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just don't marry anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could an exception be made for Shana? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And how do you know that Shana doesn't share some of the same attributes that recently got whatshername so much press?

Oh yeah, I forgot. She's good looking, and therefore must be perfect.

ericd
06-24-2004, 12:02 PM
You forgot that she probably makes a pretty decent living too.

toots
06-24-2004, 12:45 PM
One hopes, given her exposure (pun intended).

RollaJ
06-24-2004, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a horse tranquelizer and a bottle of KY. I know, I know.... thats just wrong, but dont you think you should take advantage of the lax Aruban laws while you're there

ericd
06-24-2004, 01:33 PM
I think we're being a little harsh. I'd venture to say she is closer to using 100% of her potential assets than any of the rest of us.

La Brujita
06-24-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play mostly online and have won about $100.000 this year so Im no beginner but still this is something new.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there Deelah,

Just out of curiosity did you mean you have won one hundred dollars or one hundred thousand dollars this year? If as I think you meant you won 100k, how did you do it?

Good luck in Aruba

Deelah
06-25-2004, 04:45 AM
Hi Brujita!

Yes its nearly $100k and Ive won it exclusively in multi table tournaments. The biggest part has been won at Party but some at Pokerstars which is the site I like the most.

If you are interested I can tell you this, its quite a story.. It all began with a mistake. I had less than $100 at Party and was about to play a $20 SnG. To my surprise it wasnt a regular SnG - it was a satellite.. A satellite to their $150 "threetimesaweek" tournaments.
I won the sat. and went on to finish 3rd in the big event winning $6500.

I was really happy to give myself a nice bankroll for the first time. Now I stepped up, playing bigger tournaments and since then my biggest wins are $16k, $16k, $10k, $7k, $7.5k, $4k, $3.5k.

The only mistake Ive done is to play higher limit ring games. Im not a good ring game player but has played $30/60 and $15/30 even though Im really bad and before only played $5/10. I think the only way is to work ones way up the limits, not just jump up like Ive done. After this week´s loss on $30/60 Im gonna stick to tournaments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deelah
06-25-2004, 04:47 AM
Haha, yeah you should! Go for the free vacation! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good luck!

TheArtist
06-25-2004, 06:03 AM
I won the trip last year. All i can say is you will have one of the best time of your life. The beach is very beautiful, and it's very warm through out the day day. The side games is very soft. Everyone is friendly so you will meet a tone of new friends.

They call Aruba one happy island. There is a red light district there located in San Nicolas if you are into that kind of thing.

I think I will go this year again. I had too much fun last year.

I won a trip on UB for the WPT event in Paris in July. I can' wait for that myself!!

TheArtist

TheArtist
06-25-2004, 06:06 AM
Hey,

Base on your results, you must be a very good tournament player. What is your name on UB? PM me if you don't want to reveal it public.

TheArtist

La Brujita
06-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Great job with you cashes Deelah! Let us know if you score big in Aruba.

Also, nice job to your boys in Euro 2004. I was lucky enough to see two of the games on tv and was thrilled with Zlatan's goal.

Ghazban
06-25-2004, 09:36 AM
I entered the 25+2 Rebuy last night and it was just ridiculous. There were at least 12 rebuys at my table alone in the first half hour. I lost with top set to turn/river small full houses 3 times in the first hour and just couldn't get any of my good hands to stand up. After the 3rd suckout, I was just too steamed to continue playing well so I didn't rebuy. Well, enough bad beat ranting. I have a TEC from a SNG so maybe I'll try one of the $100+9 satellites this weekend. Rebuy tourneys have been extraordinarily unlucky for me lately.

Deelah
06-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Thank you, Ill let you know how I do in Aruba!

Yes, the soccer team is doing well so far. Tough match vs. Netherlands tonight though! Go Zlatan :P

ZeeJustin
06-26-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a horse tranquelizer and a bottle of KY. I know, I know.... thats just wrong, but dont you think you should take advantage of the lax Aruban laws while you're there

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!