PDA

View Full Version : playing AK in a shorthanded pot when it is unimproved

Mike Mussina
06-22-2004, 06:53 AM
I have a question about playing AK when it's unimproved and the pot is shorthanded.

It seems much easier when you have position. If there's about 2 players you can bet the flop, and if there's one player left you can bet again, and check it down on the river if you don't improve.

But the hard part about AK is when you are in first position and there are one or two players behind you. You can bet the flop and give them a chance to fold. Now the hard part is the turn, since you have to act first.

Would you generally bet or check in this situation? Is it routine to usually bet when it is heads-up?

donkeyradish
06-22-2004, 07:25 AM
I think I see the situation a bit differently

First position with AK I like to check-raise flops that missed me. (and if it doesn't work I don't mind getting the free turn card)

Then assuming there is no re-raise, if the turn misses me too I check, and I might see the river for nothing if players fear another check-raise.

I think this method saves me a few bets, rather than costs me a few extra (compared with just betting out each round).

bigdmajor
06-22-2004, 10:14 AM
In this situation, would it be a mistake to bet post-flop in the early position while the betting is still cheap (1BB)? I mean at least you can get some info from the other two players.

Are the players tight? Are they sneaky slowplayers/checkraisers?

RED_RAIN
06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
This is often a misplay hand.

First off, if you have notes on the player such as VP$IP or showdown rate that can help a lot to know if you can safely bet and what it means when they call or raise.

My rule is if there are 2 behind, I'll bet flop almost 100% of the time. If both call or one caller and the flop has a J or above I would consider betting at this turn more often than if it's a rag flop with maybe a 8 high and the turn is another rag. The reason being, I'll maybe call one bet but I would have to get raised behind (usually someone hit something and believe I just have overcards) and then now calling 2 bets or folding and auto losing one bet. Also look at if there are potential draws or what possible hands you might be up against.

If there are 4-5 players behind, always depending on table, I won't even bet a rag flop but I will call a bet but not 2 cold usually, especially if it's all of one suit I have have none.

Another player talks about the check/raise in first position to be fear into your opponents. Personally, if someone check/rasies me on the flop, then checks to me, if I have anything that I bet with on the flop, I'll bet into a check on the turn. This shows a lot of weakness to go for a check/raise then a check on the turn. I rarely am check/raised twice in a hand by the same person where they beat me.

If you are talking at the .5/1 level I would be more careful about going to the river with AK high where you bet flop, bet turn, check river then think about calling. Usually unless there was a pretty obvious draw (gutshot counts at this level) they have at least bottom pair or pocket.