PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is a "nit"

blackaces13
06-22-2004, 03:24 AM
I know its a derogatory term for a poker player but what does it mean specifically?

My general impression seems to be of a rocklike player who isn't necessarily bad but who is unimaginative and not well liked. I don't know where I got that from either.

Monty Cantsin
06-22-2004, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know its a derogatory term for a poker player but what does it mean specifically?

My general impression seems to be of a rocklike player who isn't necessarily bad but who is unimaginative and not well liked. I don't know where I got that from either.

[/ QUOTE ]

A humorless, button-down, by-the-book player. Especially one whose knowledge of, and desire to properly apply, even the most obscure rule surpasses his desire to have fun and win money.

I don't know if Charles Grodin plays poker, but if he does he's probably a nit.

/mc

SuitedSixes
06-22-2004, 05:33 AM
I think it's a tight player who leaves a game as soon as he shows a profit.

bigpooch
06-22-2004, 06:09 AM
From urbandictionary.com:

NIT = nerd in training

or someone who talks a good game but is afraid to gamble

It's probably also someone who won't gamble unless he has
much the best of it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think there may have been a definition of "nit" in
Gambling Wizards.

The Dude
06-22-2004, 06:43 AM
A nit is someone who is someone who is at least somewhat booksmart but lacks common sense. In poker, it is used to describe someone who insists on the application of a rule even when it hurts the game or pushes away fish.

For example, someone who tells a fish just how poorly they just played a hand, giving specific examples from books he's just read, is a nit. Or someone who calls string raises on a newbie (honest mistake, not angleshooting) when he's not in a hand.

Nits are bad for games, because they take the gambling spirit away from those who came to do just that.

ZeeJustin
06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
I alawys thought nit was short for nitwit.

[ QUOTE ]
nit·wit
n.
A stupid or silly person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lunamondo
06-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I think its content meaning is a rock (that originally - according to super system - meant a good player). Lots of times one plays against people who do not "gamble" or should I say do not "play." The rocks about always have a stronger hand than a good player would have, on average, until it's a loose game or something where a good player too has to play like a nit, like a rock, like a timid tight player, or a "nit" might also be an average player that is tight on his aggression, but I don't see that is included here as they are just called "passive."

Songwind
06-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Actually, you've got your cause and effect backwards, there.

A nit is a baby louse, so a nit-wit is someone who has the wits of a nit, or perhaps whose nits can do their thinking for them.

[ QUOTE ]
I alawys thought nit was short for nitwit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spyder
06-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Nits are Lice eggs.

Calling someone a nit is simply explaining to that person that he has the brains of a pre-adolescent louse.

Spyder