PDA

View Full Version : KQ hand.

jedi
06-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Live 3/6 game. I've got K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the Big Blind.

UTG limps (very loose, plays crap suited cards regularly)
UTG+1 limps (moderately loose pre-flop, pretty tight post flop)
MP limps (fishy)
CO limps (pretty solid, aggressive. Could be a 2+2er)

I check my option in the Big Blind (raise this? I didn't think it was a good move. Mistake #1?)

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
I check with the intention of Check-raising. UTG+1 bets, MP calls CO folds and I check raise to drop UTG.

Turn is 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet out, UTG+1 raises me (MP folds). I've played with him long enough that I should KNOW that he has a flush, but I have the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I might be drawing dead to nut flush, but I call anyways (mistake #2?)

River is Q /images/graemlins/club.gif and I check, he bets and I make the crying call (mistake #3?)

Is it unanimous? Misplayed on every street?

MarkL444
06-22-2004, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it unanimous? Misplayed on every street?

[/ QUOTE ]

i sure hope not cause i probably would have played exactley the same way

sthief09
06-22-2004, 02:42 AM
if you have that good a read on him, then I guess you can fold the river. but it would have to be a damn good read.

Brian
06-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Would've played it the same way.

-Brian

asdf1234
06-22-2004, 04:08 AM
It's fine. Pretty much what sthief said about the river, without a very good read, you probably can't fold.

Joshua
06-22-2004, 07:12 AM
If this was a party $3/$6 I would have raised preflop since the opponents there limps with all sorts of crap. If the limpers are tight I guess not raising and then going for the check-raise when you hit is fine. In the games I play the limpers are normally very loose so not raising is giving up to much preflop equity. Given that you didn't raise I would have played the rest of the hand as you did.

Joe Tall
06-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Given the descriptions of the players (thank you) I would likely raise preflop w/KQo. If there were some what tighter/better, I'd check.

I think you played the hand fine, I surely would need a confident read on UTG to lay down on the river.

Peace,
Joe Tall

BeerMoney
06-22-2004, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you have that good a read on him, then I guess you can fold the river. but it would have to be a damn good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thief, did you forget he has the Kh? I think its an easy call.

sthief09
06-22-2004, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thief, did you forget he has the Kh? I think its an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

what good is the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the river?

jedi
06-22-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given the descriptions of the players (thank you) I would likely raise preflop w/KQo. If there were some what tighter/better, I'd check.

I think you played the hand fine, I surely would need a confident read on UTG to lay down on the river.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I did have a pretty good of a read on UTG+1 when he raised, but I was so focused on the flush that hit that I forgot that he actually might be raising 2-pair on the turn to see if I have the flush myself.

This player is an older gentleman, and doesn't get too involved in a hand without something big. Like I said earlier, he is a bit loose pre-flop (not Party Poker loose, but plays hands that I might not with regards to position), but knows how to fold hands post-flop. Not the typical fish, and I do respect his play.

There was a similar hand last week where he raised on a board of Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He had pocket Queens and laid it down on the turn when the 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif popped up (the winning hand was the 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif).

That having been said, I know he'll raise on a flush board if he has something strong, even if it's not the flush. I suppose I could have read his hand better for 2-pair OR the flush. If he had 2 pair, then my trips on the river were potentially good and the call I made was more correct than not.

Results: He had something like T /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the flush.