PDA

View Full Version : its good to be king

stripsqueez
06-21-2004, 11:49 PM
doesnt happen often but its nice when it does

$200+$15 SNG - i doubled up early and then steadily built - a chook also had some early joy before getting way too excited about QJo that hit top pair when i had KK - suddenly i had 7000 chips and it was 3 way with the other 2 guys having about 1500 each

i'm on the button with the blinds at 200/400 - i bet 2000 - they both fold

i'm the BB - they all fold

i'm the SB - the button folds and i bet 2000 - BB folds

i'm the button - i bet 2000 - they both fold

i'm the BB - the button has had enough so he pushes his now very meagre stack - the SB thinks for a while and folds - i hate rewarding cowardice so i fold Q4o

auto push or all normal ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Girazze
06-22-2004, 02:03 AM
So you folded your Q4o just so you wouldn't take out the Button and allow SB to take 2nd because of his/her cowardice? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Interesting, but hey, what the heck. I'm assuming correct play would be to call all all-ins when your opponents are that low on chips.

stripsqueez
06-22-2004, 02:30 AM
the cowardice bit was just a way to avoid making a reasoned decision - i figure the button has a hand given the prior action - i would be very surprised to start in front

the button had about 1000 and the SB about 650 after posting his blind - the next hand the button has to post the big blind and the SB is the button - if the SB folds next hand i will steal the big blind - if the SB pushes next hand i will push - if i lose in the latter scenario i am back to square 1 and will just steal a bunch more blinds because these guys will revert to "coming second so must fold mode" - probably this reasoning is awful but it is what i thought

given the risk of calling is 600 chips and an opponent with a mere 2200 its probably auto to call with any 2 but i'm not sure

eastbay
06-22-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming correct play would be to call all all-ins when your opponents are that low on chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't make life easy on them. You can afford to be patient in taking them out, especially since you can pressure them on offense.

Never make a -EV play "because they'll be out if you catch".

IMO, but I have some evidence to support it from simulations.

eastbay

fnurt
06-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Yes, but in a 3-handed situation, you already have a lot of money in the blind. If your call is getting 3-1 odds then you should certainly call with whatever.

Jason Strasser
06-22-2004, 10:14 AM
I call here, this is my reasoning.

If my opponents had more chips, and were passively giving them to me fighting for second, then I fold. However once the stacks get too low where you will not be able to bully without getting called too often, you have to call. Anything except a dominated hand is doing fine here... And a dominated hand is not a horrid call either given the solid pot odds.

Also, if your opponent wins, you will still be in a very good spot to continue pummeling them down to nothing.

I like the aggressive nature, it's the only way to play in this spot IMO.

stripsqueez
06-22-2004, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can afford to be patient in taking them out

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the issue - its a fascinating one

i play different games to poker that commonly have this conundrum about them - the accumulation of advantage and the issue of when to execute that advantage - i'm no wine snob but its like maturing wine - too young is no good and too old isnt good either

stripsqueez
06-22-2004, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If my opponents had more chips, and were passively giving them to me fighting for second, then I fold. However once the stacks get too low where you will not be able to bully without getting called too often, you have to call

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking all this at the time - like i said in my first reply to the initial post i looked at what would happen next hand and figured that folding was right because i would be in a 100% position to either steal the BB next hand or knock one guy out or have both of them return to a roughly equal number of chips and therefore again reluctant to stop my blind stealing frenzy

on the other hand i had already built a huge advantage and probably there was no sensible opportunity to build it much more so it was time to use some of it by calling the all-in bet