PDA

View Full Version : Another AK question

bones
06-21-2004, 10:22 PM
2nd level of a 30+3 SnG.

Folded around to UTG+2, who raises 2xBB. Folded around to me, where I call in BB with AKo.

I only called for a number of reasons, mainly because the pot was so small (3bb) and I couldn't imagine an appropriate raise that could steal the pot but not put me in danger of being re-raised all-in with a drawing hand against something like QQ or KK. So I decided to call and see the flop. My feeling was it was something like A 8/J or KQ. All hands that I wanted to see a dominated flop against.

Flop came A 6 2 rainbow. I check, UTG +2 bets 100, I call. Turn comes A. I check, he moves all in. He has me covered by about 50 chips. I still have him on Ax, with the outside possibility of 66. I call. He flips over A2 and I'm out.

Is there anything wrong with my reasoning throughout the hand or any way I don't get broke here?

TylerD
06-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Not that I can see, you went with a read and were right for the most part, plus you had top trips, top kicker.

I would have re-raised preflop, but I see the case for just calling.

Hood
06-22-2004, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2nd level of a 30+3 SnG.

Folded around to UTG+2, who raises 2xBB. Folded around to me, where I call in BB with AKo.

I only called for a number of reasons, mainly because the pot was so small (3bb) and I couldn't imagine an appropriate raise that could steal the pot but not put me in danger of being re-raised all-in with a drawing hand against something like QQ or KK. So I decided to call and see the flop. My feeling was it was something like A 8/J or KQ. All hands that I wanted to see a dominated flop against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting move. I understand your reasoning, but I still don't like the play. If your worried about QQ or KK - what are you going to do if an AKx, Kxx or KQx comes down - are you going to be worried then? Then you go on to say your feeling is that he's going A8, AJ or KQ - great, they're dominated hands. Get them to pay before the flop. Because what are you going to do on an AJ6 flop?

[ QUOTE ]

Flop came A 6 2 rainbow. I check, UTG +2 bets 100, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woh woh, you get TPTK heads up, and you check-call - is this a slowplay, or are you worried about 2-pair or trips? I think this is the problem with the limp pre-flop. Now you don't know where you stand. You've got to bet the pot here, or check-raise. But with a PF raise you might not be in this position. You can't slowplay this as TPTK is hardly a monster hand. Take the pot down now.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn comes A. I check, he moves all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great card for you! You've got trips, with the best kicker - and the guy just moved in on you! Insta-call. There's a good chance he's bluffing. If he does have that lone ace, what are the chances he's got a full? Not worth considering.

[ QUOTE ]

He has me covered by about 50 chips. I still have him on Ax, with the outside possibility of 66. I call. He flips over A2 and I'm out.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything wrong with my reasoning throughout the hand or any way I don't get broke here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this was very unlucky, perhaps playing it differently wouldn't have got that result. Preflop, raise him the pot. There's nothing wrong with taking down the pot when your on AKo. On the flop, a raise or a check raise would have been met by a re-raise. Perhaps then you would have been able to lay this down, perhaps not. It depends deep your stacks are here. On the turn your gonna lose all your chips.

bones
06-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Pre-flop, my thinking was that if he has a dominated ace, he's gonna call anything but a really out of line bet. With only 90 in the pot, I think I'd have to bet somewhere in the range of 200 to chase someone who raises UTG+2 with a mid-ace (or KQ, KJ). I figured if he had AJ-AK, he would raise more. But if he has KK or QQ, then he probably moves in on me and I'm out 200. My intention was just to see the flop cheaply and see if I could flop something nice or get a better read on him.

I understand what you're saying about not raising, and thinking back, I probably agree. If I think he's dominated, I should probably raise enough for him to call but not so much to put me in bad shape if I have to fold to a re-raise.

My thinking on the flop was that he had what I originally put him on...a dominated ace. I didn't want to blow him out of the water. My thinking was that by check-calling on flop, then check-raising on the river, I was gonna give him a chance to bet his ace into me twice, then raise him and take the pot if he has a very weak ace or take his whole stack if he didn't believe that I had the ace or a better kicker.

My limp and check-call were probably moves attempting at deception as well as not getting too committed. Probably a little bit of FPS.

I don't think I can fold on the turn.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.