PDA

View Full Version : Termonology Question: Folding Equity

Chris Daddy Cool
06-21-2004, 07:43 PM
What *exactly* is meant by the term "folding equity." ?

ddubois
06-21-2004, 10:38 PM
When I bet into a $100 pot, and there's a Y% chance you'll fold, the bet had $Y of fold equity.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-23-2004, 12:20 AM
So how do I apply this concept when I'm playing?

Ed Miller
06-23-2004, 01:45 AM

I have never heard the term "folding equity" before. Could you provide it in context? I use the terms "pot equity" and "pot equity edge" extensively, but not "folding equity."

RED_RAIN
06-23-2004, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have never heard the term "folding equity" before. Could you provide it in context? I use the terms "pot equity" and "pot equity edge" extensively, but not "folding equity."

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain these two and the difference?

Chris Daddy Cool
06-23-2004, 03:49 PM
I see the phrase pop up from time to time in the NL forum and never really understood what they meant by it. I'll provide an example once I see it again.

Paul2432
06-23-2004, 04:29 PM
The term is used to analyze a bluff or semi-bluff situation. For example if the pot contains $50 and if you bet your opponent will fold 40% of the time, you would have $20 in folding equity. Betting would be profitable with any two cards if the bet was less than $20.

Now let's say the bet was $35 in the same situation, but you had a 25% chance of winning the hand if called. Your equity is now 0.6x0.25x120+0.4x50=$38, so again betting is profitable. Without the folding equity, betting would not be profitable.

Paul

The Bear
06-23-2004, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see the phrase pop up from time to time in the NL forum and never really understood what they meant by it. I'll provide an example once I see it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold equity is the equity gained when someone folds a better hand. It's that simple. It's more commonly used in the NL forums because players often move substantial amounts of chips at once with draws, thus they often need fold equity to make their decisions correct.