PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Huck Seed?????

Satchmo
06-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Anybody know what happened to Huck Seed. It seemed he was on his way to becoming a poker legend and now I never hear anything about him anymore.

uaw420rook
06-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I thought I seen him finish in the money at one of the WSOP events. Not sure which one it was.

Dynasty
06-21-2004, 08:56 PM
The story is that he busted years ago and has been playing while backed to pay back debts he owes. As with all stories like these, it's just about impossible to provide any proof.

Just yesterday, I head from a source I trust that a very well known top pro has busted. This is a guy who most people would say "HE busted out. Wow!"

Michael Davis
06-21-2004, 09:33 PM
This post is a tease, and it's killing me.

-Michael

Ed Miller
06-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Anybody know what happened to Huck Seed. It seemed he was on his way to becoming a poker legend and now I never hear anything about him anymore.

I saw Huck Seed today at approximately 6:30pm PDT in the Forum Shops at Caesars. He was walking around. Then he stopped and picked up a CD. He considered purchasing it, but then he put it back. He then moved on. That was the last I saw of him. I cannot comment on the nature of the CD he considered. It was probably not very good, since he rejected it.

There was a girl with him. She was tall. She was taller than me. That's not that tall, but to me it is very tall. I am not nearly so tall.

Vehn
06-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Did he get your autograph?

dogmeat
06-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Fill us in on who the Hell of a mouth (Sr. or Jr.) busted out!

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

jacki
06-22-2004, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he stopped and picked up a CD. He considered purchasing it, but then he put it back. He then moved on. That was the last I saw of him. I cannot comment on the nature of the CD he considered. It was probably not very good, since he rejected it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it was the new Beastie Boys CD, he made the right choice.

daryn
06-22-2004, 01:05 AM
ouch, i heard it was excellent! i haven't heard anything of it yet other than the first single, so i'm eager to hear more. also i'm on the lookout for velvet revolver. yes, i do download/steal music.

Steve Giufre
06-22-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm not surprised he doesnt have his own money. I've played live with him on a few occations and his play is horrible. That being said, I'm sure there will always be somebody around to put him in a game.

Stew
06-22-2004, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ouch, i heard it was excellent! i haven't heard anything of it yet other than the first single, so i'm eager to hear more. also i'm on the lookout for velvet revolver. yes, i do download/steal music.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are both excellent, you won't be able to steal Velvet Revolver though, it's copyright encrypted.

jkinetic
06-22-2004, 04:13 AM
That dude has more game than you can ever possibly conceptualize.

To judge his game on the few occasions you probably played 15/30 to 40/80 at places like the Park or the Gardens is ridiculous. He was probably playing with his case money that he scraped together somehow, most likely borrowed, and didn't have all of his senses working together.

Sure he probably lacks money management skills, is not as good as he used to be, has other vices not to be mentioned but he would slice you up in pot limit, no limit, shorthanded or headsup and tournaments.

Like yourself I have played with Huck in middle limits and seen him do weird things like jack it up in early position with the 8,3 suited, but he was probably bored. He has played 1,000/2,000 and higher, what the hell does 15/30 mean to him?

Feeling superior because you did better than him in a ring middle limit game is just pathetic.

Josh W
06-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Having played dozens of tournies with Huck, and having played ringgames with him dozens of times, and having played with Steve G. dozens of times, I'd take Steve's action over Hucks in a full limit holdem ring game any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

In other games (i.e. Stud and Stud 8), I'd take Huck over dang near anybody.

The fact that, as you point out, he was likely playing horridly with his (likely) case money oughta tell you what kind of player he is.

Josh

turnipmonster
06-22-2004, 09:53 AM
does stud and stud-8 get spread in CA card rooms regularly? I know they have the high limit at the hustler, but do mid limit games go all the time?

--turnipmonster

eastbay
06-22-2004, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That dude has more game than you can ever possibly conceptualize.

To judge his game on the few occasions you probably played 15/30 to 40/80 at places like the Park or the Gardens is ridiculous. He was probably playing with his case money that he scraped together somehow, most likely borrowed, and didn't have all of his senses working together.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't have all of his senses working together, then he's playing badly, isn't he? And who plays badly? Bad players do.

[ QUOTE ]

Like yourself I have played with Huck in middle limits and seen him do weird things like jack it up in early position with the 8,3 suited, but he was probably bored. He has played 1,000/2,000 and higher, what the hell does 15/30 mean to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should mean a lot to him if he's broke. And it should mean even more if it's somebody else's money. Otherwise he's an honorless, classless, irresponsible [censored]. (Note that I don't know anything about if this is true, so I'm not accusing Huck of being anything. I'm just saying that one implies the other.)

And playing stupidly because you're bored is bad play. Bad play is what bad players do.

If someone sucks because they're not trying, they still suck.

eastbay

SaintAces
06-22-2004, 01:05 PM
now I won't sleep until I know who it is?

Ivey?
Negreanu?
Brunson?
Chan?

jkinetic
06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
I agree with you on that, in a full ring limit game I am sure there are plenty of players that are better, I do not dispute that.

But a full ring middle limit game is different than a full ring high limit game.

As for him playing horribly with his case money, the dude has issues, no doubt. The point I was trying to make was that his poker talent can't be quantified soley based on some guy playing a few times with him in a ring middle limit holdem game.

PiquetteAces
06-22-2004, 04:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
now I won't sleep until I know who it is?

Ivey?
Negreanu?
Brunson?
Chan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Brunson for sure !

What about Gus Hansen !?

J.A.Sucker
06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Don't get them started, Dynasty. You are right, though.

HUSKER'66
06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ivey?
Negreanu?
Brunson?
Chan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of these four choices, two are a possibility, and two have a very high improbabilty.

Given, I have no intimate knowledge of any of the above listed individuals lives, spending habits, or bank account records.

Huskers

baggins
06-23-2004, 02:08 AM
i'm diggin the new Beasties...

Also looking for Velvet Revolver. but I saw it and it said it was copyright encrypted. i wonder how long til somebody cracks that encryption...

Ed Miller
06-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Also looking for Velvet Revolver. but I saw it and it said it was copyright encrypted. i wonder how long til somebody cracks that encryption...

You don't even need to crack it. You can just use whatever the official software is that decrypts it to decrypt it. In other words, just play it and record the sound.

Ulysses
06-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I was really surprised to hear that that guy was busted, but when you're playing in the biggest games, it doesn't take much of a bad run to destroy a bankroll.

J_V
06-23-2004, 02:48 AM
I'm gonna guess Chan or Forrest.

Clarkmeister
06-23-2004, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna guess Chan or Forrest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear Chan is too *ahem* crafty to go bust.

J_V
06-23-2004, 03:09 AM
God couldn't bust Ivey. As for Hansen, I wouldn't say shocked to hear busted and I doubt neither would JA considering he is playing so high and plays so fast. \

Thus, I'm staying w/ Forrest.

Steve Giufre
06-23-2004, 05:55 AM
As for him playing horribly with his case money, the dude has issues, no doubt. The point I was trying to make was that his poker talent can't be quantified soley based on some guy playing a few times with him in a ring middle limit holdem game.

Couldnt agree more. But I never commented on his overall poker talent. I only pointed out that when I have played holdem with the guy, he was really out of line a lot of the time. That doesnt mean he doesnt have one of the best poker minds in the world, I don't doubt that he does. But it might help to explain why he keeps disapearing. I'm not sure he has the disipline to beat cash games, at least not holdem games where the money isnt really big.

Feeling superior because you did better than him in a ring middle limit game is just pathetic.

Thats not a very well thought out comment on your part. I would love for you to go back and find anything in my post that suggests I feel "superior" to him. My only comment was that the guy is one crappy mid limit holdem player, and maybe he tends to struggle in cash games in general. I certainly dont question his ability to play tournament poker.

Stew
06-23-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You don't even need to crack it. You can just use whatever the official software is that decrypts it to decrypt it. In other words, just play it and record the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't work..well I guess it would. In other words you could use a tape recorder to tape the sound as it comes out of the speakers, but it will sound like shyte. When you play a file over a speaker on a computer, you are always listening to a converted file. What the encryption does it allowed you playing device to let the sound come out of the speakers, but it will not allow the file to be downloaded to your PC.

Bubbagump
06-23-2004, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also looking for Velvet Revolver. but I saw it and it said it was copyright encrypted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea.... Buy the freakin CD!

Bubbagump

Sundevils21
06-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Layne Flack? I could see that happening. Is he any good at ring games?

fsuplayer
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Layne Flack? I could see that happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, esp. with all the reports and rumors of his drug use and heavy drinking.

FsuPlayer

Ed Miller
06-23-2004, 01:20 PM
That won't work..well I guess it would. In other words you could use a tape recorder to tape the sound as it comes out of the speakers, but it will sound like shyte.

No, dude. My point is, at some point in the path from cd encryptedness to musical goodness, the signal is decrypted to send to the speakers... or amplifier... or DAC... or whatever. Just take that signal and record it directly. It won't sound like shyte. You'd be dumb to record it after it came out of the speakers.

theBruiser500
06-23-2004, 01:21 PM
"I hear Chan is too *ahem* crafty to go bust. "

What does that mean??
Tell me who went bust.

Blindfolk
06-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Yeah. Their album was ripped and released in the scene a full week before it hit stores.

They don't do copy encryption to prevent people who know what they're doing to get the files. The major record labels use copy protection to prevent average Joe from making a copy for his friend.

The new album sucks. Not worth the buy.

theBruiser500
06-23-2004, 05:49 PM
I heard on IRC that this player is Howard Lederer. WOW.

DrSavage
06-23-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no encryption ( otherwise it wouldn't work in non-computer CD-players) There is a copy protection which prevents ripping it, the way it works is some software is installed when you first insert the disk into drive which will prevent you from copying it in the future. It can easily be bypassed by either disabling AutoPlay (altogether or by holding down left SHIFT as you insert the CD) or by doing it on a non-Windows machine (Linux etc, not sure about Mac).
Basically the protection is very crude and will only prevent copying by retards and serves no purpose whatsoever.

Saborion
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
The ability to move down in limits should? prevent that?

BeerMoney
06-23-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That won't work..well I guess it would. In other words you could use a tape recorder to tape the sound as it comes out of the speakers, but it will sound like shyte.

No, dude. My point is, at some point in the path from cd encryptedness to musical goodness, the signal is decrypted to send to the speakers... or amplifier... or DAC... or whatever. Just take that signal and record it directly. It won't sound like shyte. You'd be dumb to record it after it came out of the speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't mind if we photocopy your book and then return it or something like that?

Stew
06-23-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Their album was ripped and released in the scene a full week before it hit stores.

They don't do copy encryption to prevent people who know what they're doing to get the files. The major record labels use copy protection to prevent average Joe from making a copy for his friend.

The new album sucks. Not worth the buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The new album" Are you talking about Beastie Boys or Velvet Revolver?

This Velvet Revolver's first album. Either way, I'm just wondering b/c I am really liking both of these the more you listen to it.

Stew
06-23-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no encryption ( otherwise it wouldn't work in non-computer CD-players) There is a copy protection which prevents ripping it, the way it works is some software is installed when you first insert the disk into drive which will prevent you from copying it in the future. It can easily be bypassed by either disabling AutoPlay (altogether or by holding down left SHIFT as you insert the CD) or by doing it on a non-Windows machine (Linux etc, not sure about Mac).
Basically the protection is very crude and will only prevent copying by retards and serves no purpose whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did some research and this apparnently works. Nice find!

HajiShirazu
06-23-2004, 06:21 PM
That's probably the last person I would ever think would go bust.
Didn't he cash in like 6 wsop events?

Dynasty
06-23-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My information was only fourth hand so I'm not going to confirm or deny any rumors. I simply can't back up anything with even a small amount of evidence. But, I expect you'll be hearing this rumor a lot.

Ed Miller
06-23-2004, 09:58 PM
So you don't mind if we photocopy your book and then return it or something like that?

Meh, it's completely different. Record companies should not be allowed to try to stop people from ripping songs to MP3s. Most of the music I listen to is on my iPod. My iPod is useless if I can't rip the songs to MP3s.

I do not and never have pirated music. But fair use should permit me to put the music I buy onto my iPod.

Furthermore (and this is the whole fallacy of the anti-piracy crusaders), encrypting does NOTHING TO PREVENT DETERMINED PIRATES! After all, you can just copy the encrypted data BIT FOR BIT... as I pointed out, if you want to pirate the stuff, cracking the encryption is not even a remotely necessary step. All this encryption stuff does is annoy honest users like me who might want to watch a DVD from Europe or rip music to my iPod.

If I am determined to pirate music, encryption is simply a non-barrier. The record companies simply must come to terms with the new environment that exists. They cannot "fix" things for themselves with band-aid solutions.

Ed Miller
06-23-2004, 10:01 PM
There is no encryption ( otherwise it wouldn't work in non-computer CD-players).

BTW, this is obviously correct. You cannot encrypt music CDs because then they wouldn't meet the CD standard. But my arguments apply 100% to DVDs.

The MPAA is totally off-base on this issue.

BeerMoney
06-23-2004, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Meh, it's completely different. Record companies should not be allowed to try to stop people from ripping songs to MP3s. Most of the music I listen to is on my iPod. My iPod is useless if I can't rip the songs to MP3s.

I do not and never have pirated music. But fair use should permit me to put the music I buy onto my iPod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed, I didn't realize the context you were speaking of. I agree 100%, its totally different.

jkinetic
06-24-2004, 01:55 AM
My read was that you were implying that you felt "superior" to him.

I have seen a few times when a known player sits in a game they normally do not play to either get into a bigger game or because their money is funny, and afterwards other players judge their play, usually in a critical manner whether it was warranted or not during that session.

I just think that is ridiculous and not enough of a sample size to judge someone's play, especially when there could be other factors not being considered. Plus, people are quick to chop down others that might be considered poker celebrities, whether they are not as good or better than their reputation.

turnipmonster
06-24-2004, 01:18 PM
I agree that anti-piracy technology does little to nothing to stop anyone. the solution will come if people understand who they are hurting most when they pirate music. it's not the record companies.

--turnipmonster

Ed Miller
06-24-2004, 03:03 PM
the solution will come if people understand who they are hurting most when they pirate music. it's not the record companies.

Acutally, in the long term, it is the record companies. Computers and the internet are beginning to make the value-add of the record companies less and less valuable. You no longer have to go to the record store to buy a CD to get your recorded music.

Most bands make their money mostly from touring anyway. The record company makes most of their cash from sale of CDs and merchandise. Record companies are desperately trying to find ways to force people to buy CDs in the traditional way, but none of them are working, and CD sales are definitely down. Many of them are going to have to change their business model, and fast, to avoid going broke. The gravy train is already beginning to derail, as the subsidiary labels that some major music figures ran to find new talent are being downsized because the companies can't afford to share the profit.

But the bottom line is, one of the critical functions of the record company (manufacturing and distributing recorded music) is becoming obsolete. Either the companies need to find a new thing to replace that, or they will simply not make as much money.

turnipmonster
06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most bands make their money mostly from touring anyway. The record company makes most of their cash from sale of CDs and merchandise.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a lot different for different levels of bands, but I can tell you from personal experience that touring bands make most of their money selling merchandise (cds and the like).

incidentally, most record companies (especially indie labels) don't do their own distro, they farm that out to distros like redeye and caroline.

my main point was it hurts the artists far more than most people realize. composer royalties can be quite significant, and pirating music eats into those royalties. record companies bank on taking losses on some of their artists anyways, and 90% of the time they are just going to drop an artist not selling well, whatever the reason.

--turnipmonster

Army Eye
06-24-2004, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's probably the last person I would ever think would go bust.
Didn't he cash in like 6 wsop events?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did well at the WSOP, but, his cashes were not that huge relatve to the stakes he plays at in cash games.

colgin
06-25-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that would explain his Poker Summer Boot Camp or whatever.

If the rumor is, in fact, true, I have one word, "WOW"!

Sundevils21
06-25-2004, 06:38 PM
couldn't a guy like howard lederer get sombody(or a lot of people) to back him while he built back up?(assuming he is in fact bust)
I remember a story I belive it was annie duke who went bust and somebody loaned her $50,000 to rebuild.

SaintAces
06-25-2004, 07:54 PM
nm

J.R.
06-29-2004, 04:28 PM
So the whole kidney operation/illness thing is a cover, or do you just kid?

baydog
06-30-2004, 09:16 AM
I played with him a few weeks back, and I was not impressed with the guy. I can't say much about his game because he'd play a round at the 10-20NL (where I was), then jump over to an 80-160 table. He'd stay there for a couple hands, then go off with his girl for an hour. Then, he'd come back and repeat the process.
For the brief time at the table, he was SERIOUSLY rude to the dealer. I don't know if they had a history, but she seemd very cool and accommodating and he acted like an ass. He also appeared to be seriously drugged out. Not knowing the guy, this could just be how he acts normally.

I wish he would have sat and played for awhile so I could check his game out...but it didn't happen.

jacki
07-03-2004, 10:06 PM
I nominate this for the weirdest thread ever.
Discussions on Howard Lederer going broke, digital music piracy, and some Huck Seed dude.

Also, I withdraw my Beastie Boys comment. The new album is good. But not as good as any other of their albums.

Rick Nebiolo
07-06-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does stud and stud-8 get spread in CA card rooms regularly? I know they have the high limit at the hustler, but do mid limit games go all the time?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm surfing in flat mode so maybe this is answered already and i haven't seen it.

- the bike has two or three games of 20/40 stud/8 every day (sometimes more, rarely less).

- 20/40 stud can be found at hollywood park (they also have stud/8, but not as much as they used to from what i have seen).

- various mid limit stud games can be found at the commerce but i don't get over there much.

~ rick