PDA

View Full Version : Something went terribly wrong - but what?

twang
06-21-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this - feel free to direct me elsewhere.

First some short background.

I began playing about six months ago. I lost a few minimum deposits at Party before I decided I had to learn the game or quit. So I studied. I also began playing super-micro instead of .5/1. This was two months ago btw.

Things went well and I climbed the levels from 0.05/0.1 to 2/4. I turned my initial $24 deposit into $900 in a little more than one months time. That might sound fast, I don't know, but let me assure you that I have put in the the hours - my butt has gone flat like a desktop from sitting in front of the screen.

About three weeks ago things started to get ugly. I was now playing 2/4 about 80% of the time, 1/2 the rest. I started sliding slowly and this went on up until this very minute. My BR is down to $450 and I am back playing 0.5/1.

Since I began at the supermicros I have encountered a couple of 80 BB downswings that I have turned around in a few days, but not anything like this one.

The problem is that I have no idea what so ever what went wrong. "Moving up too fast" or "First month was a huge lucky streak" should be the obvious answers, but I don't know...As far as I can see 2/4 (Pacific btw) is not much different than 0.5/1; it's basically a moron fest, people cold-calling three bets with Q4o and stuff like that. As for the lucky streak....45-50 days, 5 - 6 hours a day of steady winning should mean something, shouldn't it? It is not enough to prove without a doubt that I am a solid player, I know, but it is still quite a long time.

So where do I go from here? I am sure this downslide is a combo of bad play from my side and regular bad beats. The problem is that I can't find the big and obvious leak(s). I am sure they are there, but to me it just seems like I am stuck in 2nd best hand zone.

Sorry about the whining/rambling.

Opinions? Tips?

JohnShaft
06-21-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About three weeks ago things started to get ugly.

The problem is that I have no idea what so ever what went wrong. "Moving up too fast" or "First month was a huge lucky streak" should be the obvious answers, but I don't know...

[/ QUOTE ]

Twang, post a troubling 2/4 hand or two right now. Then continue to post hands regularly. Losing streaks can last a suprisingly long time even for winning players that put in a lot of hours.
The best thing you can do therefore is get people to look at how you played hands. You will probably see sooner rather than later if you are playing as well as you think you are, depending on the comments.
I think that's the best thing you can do. 93 comments from us all saying "It could be a streak/you can lose for a long time/etc etc" aren't going to do you a lot of good.

Ron
06-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi, a short reply. You might be playing to loose. What i might suggest is that you play less and read, study & learn more. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lil'
06-21-2004, 06:04 PM
You are making more mistakes than you think you are. (I was in the same boat as you once.)

Post some hands. The help you can get here is second to none.

Good luck!

twang
06-21-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Twang, post a troubling 2/4 hand or two right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, John here's one that is pure fresh, just a few minutes old. Its nothing spectacular, but typical, I'd say.

Preflop:
1/2, 10 players. Hero is button with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1, UTG+2, MP3 and Hero calls. SB completes and BB checks. The rest folds.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Blinds check, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 raises, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Blinds and UTG+1 checks. UTG+2 bets, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls

River: 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Checked around
Pot 11,5 BB