PDA

View Full Version : All in with TPTK, two-pair or 3-flush on the board

RoyalSampler
06-21-2004, 04:43 PM
This is less a question and more a thoughts essay. Definitely an example of poor play not to be immitated, but maybe I can share my lessons. I seem to have an automatic emotional reponse when I hold TPTK, two pair, or (trips/straight with 3-flush on board).
I am eager to get my money all in. The rational components of my brain shut down. Maybe I've damaged them lately with my binge drinking? Or more likely this is one of the key developments in poker, i.e. controlling such delusions of invulnerability. The correction I need to make to take my game to the next step.

a) Post-flop I am first to act, I go all in. On the assumption that I've got this hand. In this scenario, if I am in fact the winner, they will hand me the pot, but I possibily could have drawn more from them. But given noone is likely to call an all-in with less than TPTK, if they call, I lose it all (assuming I am covered). So... by going all in as first to act, I have either limited my return or lost all my money. Me so geneas.

b) Someone goes all in ahead of me in one of the above mentioned scenarios. Well this one is real simple... I'm stupid enough to have called this many many times now... and I would say I've seen maybe 10% are bluffs and those that are bluffs are actually quite obvious when you take a step back. So I'm taking a 10% (or even say 30%, if it's below 50% I am the fool) gamble with all my chips. This is an even worse scenario than a).

Really it boils down to the fact that beginners cannot lay their hands. I have been playing for a little over a month online and am tending towards profitable, but still weak due to leaks such as this.

Maybe I can make a question out of this post...
When are you guys happy to go all in? Assume you have no read or a poor read, which is most often the case in cash games with people jumping in and out. Assume you are not anywhere near short stacked, say you are equal to the buyin, but the villain has you covered. And the scenario is post flop (preflop is too simple).

a) Are you an "only with the nuts person"?
b) Would you go all in with any of the hands I mentioned above?
c) Do you try to value bet until these and only go all in with monsters?

Enough rampling, I suppose. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif