PDA

View Full Version : Repeated steal re-raise?

Garbonzo
06-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I was playing the $200 buy in tourney last weekend on PP and had the following situation.

I'm sitting on average stack size on the button, 500 players still in. Folded to me, I have A-Jo, raise 2.5X the BB. SB reraises all in, I fold.

Next orbit, I have A-9s, folded to me, I raise 2.5 x BB and SB reraise all in, I fold.

NEXT orbit, I have A-Qs on the button, I raise 3xBB and once again SB reraises me all-in. I call.

Comments?

MLG
06-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Sounds ok to me, sometimes you've got to take a stand. It seems clear at this point he doesn't need a hand to play back at you, or at least not much of one. Hope it worked out.

Garbonzo
06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds ok to me, sometimes you've got to take a stand. It seems clear at this point he doesn't need a hand to play back at you, or at least not much of one. Hope it worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like an ok place to take a stand then? Everyone always talks about the dangers of calling any decent bet with A-Q...

Also, this was the first time I played a 200 + buy in tourney, so I was less than optimally comfortable.

MLG
06-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Thats true, but here you have evidence that this player could be making this play with a substantially weaker hand then yours, you don't have to wait for aces to make a stand. If this player has shown a tendency (in this case it seems like a mortal lock more than a tendency) to reraise here, I wouldn't make the initial raise if I wasn't going to call the reraise.

I was actually in a similar situation recently. The player in question was sitting on my right for a while. He limped a lot of pots, and every time I would raise if it folded back around to this limper he would go all in. The first time he did it I folded JJ, by the third time I called with A-Q and all he was able to produce was Q-J. The advice on not calling big bets with A-Q is generally good, but with poker much like life or english there are always exceptions.

hhboy77
06-21-2004, 08:16 PM
i think mlg is dead on in his post. now i think you should consider what other hands you would call that are weaker than aq. there might be some, like aj, at, even though people hate those hand even more than aq.

Burno
06-22-2004, 03:08 AM
I don't play the $200 buy-ins, but I've often found that the third time they will have a monster. How'd it turn out?