PDA

View Full Version : Public place to use the net in Vegas?

Steve Giufre
06-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I'll be in Vegas this week, and I need to find someplace to play the 500NL touney on stars this Sunday. Anybody know if there is any place I will be able to do this?

Ed Miller
06-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Do you have a laptop with WiFi? If so, you can hit one of many coffee shops.

There are plenty of "pay to use" places too, but the ones I know would look at you funny if you spent several hours playing poker.

JTG51
06-21-2004, 03:23 PM
There are plenty of "pay to use" places too, but the ones I know would look at you funny if you spent several hours playing poker.

Would they even let customers download and install software on their machines? Id' be surprised if any place would allow that.

Ed Miller
06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Would they even let customers download and install software on their machines? Id' be surprised if any place would allow that.

Hehe, good call. I knew it didn't sound right to be playing a poker tourney at one of these joints.

Porcupine
06-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Do the strip hotels have "business centers" with computers/internet access for guests (hopefully complimentary or a reasonable rate)?

Would love specific information on the Mirage (and Riviera), if anyone knows.

lowroller
06-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Don't most of the hotels have access in the rooms now?

Erdnase
06-22-2004, 04:25 AM
The Nugget allows you to use their business center at $1 per minute. NO, that is not a typo.

Greets, Erd

PS: For checking emails, I always went to the apple store at Fashion show Mall. They have free internet. But probably not for an entire tourney...lol

Steve Giufre
06-22-2004, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Nugget allows you to use their business center at $1 per minute. NO, that is not a typo.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buck a minute? I'll have to finsh third just to get my money back.

daryn
06-22-2004, 12:38 PM
ed i have a laptop with wifi. anywhere to go for free access? if not do you know any rough prices? i am coming back in a few months.

Ed Miller
06-22-2004, 01:28 PM
ed i have a laptop with wifi. anywhere to go for free access? if not do you know any rough prices? i am coming back in a few months.

Sure,

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Maryland Pkwy. across from UNLV has free WiFi for sure (it's about a mile and a half from the MGM Grand, if you don't know Vegas). A bunch of Starbucks also probably have it, but I don't really go to Starbucks. I do know that the coffee joints in the strip hotels tend NOT to have WiFi. I also know that the Starbucks on Paradise Rd. near Flamingo does NOT have WiFi.

mrbaseball
06-22-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would love specific information on the Mirage

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the Mirage in May and could pick up WiFi on my Centrino equipped laptop in my room. But there was a $9.99 fee per 24 hours. Since I had no pressing internet business I took a pass.

eggzz
06-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Daryn,

Go to this website and enter in Las Vegas' zip code (I'm not sure what it is) and this will provide you with all the hotspot locations for your wifi.

http://www.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm;jsessionid=aPgKJXm8NGBf

Also, before purchasing my laptop, I did open an account at an internet cafe, and they had no problem downloading UltimateBet software for me and allowing me to play poker while the rest of the clientele played Doom or Quake or whatever shootemup games are popular nowadays.

Ed Miller
06-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Go to this website and enter in Las Vegas' zip code (I'm not sure what it is) and this will provide you with all the hotspot locations for your wifi.

Sweet. This is a cool site. I was wondering what that T-Mobile network that was all around was... if that was just for T-Mobile subscribers or if I could horn in on their action. I didn't know that I could pay them $10 and use it for a day. Though I prefer to use the free WiFi at my local friendly, UNLV girl-filled coffee joint... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eggzz
06-22-2004, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know that I could pay them $10 and use it for a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is my bad, I didn't realize there was a fee, I thought this was a guide to free hot spot locations. I did not too much research though, I only went as far as to find out that I don't have any hotspots in my zip code, which could be due largely in part to the number of horse farms in my vicinity. I imagine more spots popped up in your zip code.

balt999
06-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Just take that 500 bucks and play on of the many mid buy in tourneys at the Mirage or the Golden Nugget.

AnyAce
06-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the WiFi info.

I am going to be bringing my laptop to LV in July (I will have to work part of the time I am there)

What do you all recommend I do with it when I am out playing poker? (I doubt it will fit in the safe and I would guess I shouldnt just leave it in the room). We are staying at the Orleans and will be playing some events at the Orleans Open.

Thanks.

AnyAce

BlackAces
06-24-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you all recommend I do with it when I am out playing poker? (I doubt it will fit in the safe and I would guess I shouldnt just leave it in the room). We are staying at the Orleans and will be playing some events at the Orleans Open.

[/ QUOTE ]
You would be correct. I had money swiped out of my room when I stayed at the Orleans last year (just enough to annoy me, while not enough to really piss me off). I couldn't prove it, obviously, so I couldn't even do anything about it.

I'd check with Guest Services and see if they could hold it for you.