PDA

View Full Version : Limprotection / On the button with Q8

Tommy Angelo
06-21-2004, 08:53 AM
$20-40 at LC, full and frothy. I'd been playing several hours. Behind me lined up three in a row were the other tight players. On my right was a softly churning sea of chips.

I was on the button. There was one limper (think Charmin) when it got to me. This was a rare and welcomed opportunity for right then in this game and I could feel my range of seize-worthy starters expand. For sure any ace or king I would raise. I peeked at Q8o. I raised. I sloppily hadn't looked left but with these guys on my left it didn't matter so much because they don't give much, and also because they play sensible enough that I could rightly predict that my raise would be limprotected.

This next thing came as a surprise to me which is why I want to write it out now. It occurred to me after the hand that if everyone had folded to me before the flop, I would have folded the Q8 on the button against these two guys in the blinds at that moment. I'd already pushed my button a few times against them and they hadn't liked the endings. De-escalation seemed right against them, button vs blinds, probably for the rest of the day, unless the cards forced a battle.

After putting the hypothetical occurance and the actual occurance side by side, I believe that had it been folded to me on the button, my best choice would have been to fold, but at the same time, I believe that after the limper limped, my best choice was to raise. Because of limprotection. Because the guys in the blind who otherwise would play back with any ace against my preflop openraise from the button, or maybe checkraise the flop headsup against me just for the hell of it, they would be disarmed, preflop, and on the flop, by the limper. And preflop, because they knew that I knew that the presence of the limper meant that I had no shot of taking this pot down without a flop, they would have to put me on some kind of hand, and they are the type to fold the blinds to a raise if they have medium cards or worse, if they think they are up against a hand.

Normally we would expect that more players before the flop would encourage more players before the flop, right? But not this time. As it turns out, if I'm right about this, the existence of the limper made each of the blinds less likely to call my preflop raise, not more likely. Another form of limprotection. Thoughts?

(The play came up rosily, but even if I had folded to a flop bet, or missed the turn and folded then, or even if I had flopped a straight and somehow lost a ton of chips, I think I'd still like my play and thinking on this hand, I think.)

(The whole hand: After one player limped, I raised on the button with Q8, the small blind folded, the big blind called, and the limper called. Threeway me last. The flop came J-7-4 rainbow. All checked. The turn was a queen. The blind bet out, the limper called, and I called. The river was a blank. The blind checked, the limper checked, I bet, the blind called, and the limper called. KweenGoot.)

Tommy

Gamblor
06-21-2004, 09:15 AM
If poker is all about forcing opponents to make mistakes by misrepresenting the strength/weakness of your hand, I think this play is the kind of thing that makes good chess/Magic/gin players good poker players. The ability to understand the paradigms that govern our play (such as, someone must have a much better hand to raise a limper than to raise first in), and turn those assumptions into weaknesses. I, for one, love the players who will autobet any flop after raising preflop against any number of opponenents, even with black AQ on a K98 red board.

On the other hand, was it worth firing a shot on the flop? Did you not think a flop bet would take it down, or did you sense check-raise from BB?

bicyclekick
06-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I actually convinced myself of the same thing last night with J8o on the button at canterbury. A 2+2er rolled his eyes when he saw my hand. It was one loose dumb limper to me...blinds are weak...

Still probably wrong but it felt so right. Esp hitting top 2...;P

Pokergod
06-21-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally we would expect that more players before the flop would encourage more players before the flop, right? But not this time. As it turns out, if I'm right about this, the existence of the limper made each of the blinds less likely to call my preflop raise, not more likely. Another form of limprotection. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe this is very correct. Very well played "the blinds know you're not stealing because of the limper, so you must have a hand". So, now you are going to steal, heads-up, against one EP limper who has very little invested, and who also thinks you have a hand because you know he's not just going to fold pre-flop. There's a better than avg chance he'll miss the flop and you have, in effect, stolen not only the blinds but both his pre-flop bets.

I like this 3rd (or maybe 4th) level thinking very much.

-PG

Gamblor
06-21-2004, 02:15 PM
I like this 3rd (or maybe 4th) level thinking very much.

I believe this is 2nd level thinking...

Level 1: What does he have? (What am I putting him on?)
Level 2: What does he think I have? (What is he putting me on?)
Level 3: What does he think I think he has? (What does he think I have put him on?)
Level 4: Why does that fat guy smell? (He's putting me off)

Pokergod
06-21-2004, 02:41 PM
which is why the EP limper could have taken it a step further (assuming he had a good multi-way hand, like Axs) and re-raised Tommy (as though he had AA). This would have completely turned the tables on Tommy.

That would have been a heck of a play.

-PG

Gamblor
06-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I've seen that alot from very LAG players and must confess to trying it myself from time to time.

The play goes invariably as follows:

Limp in EP hoping to see a cheap flop with a JTs or baby-mid pair. MP or LP raises, and when it's folded around to the limper, if it's heads up, will go ahead and reraise.

They'll usually autobet the flop, and the LP raiser will fold if he misses, and might even fold if he hits, fearing AA.

I've been much more wary of the limp-reraise when heads up nowadays, especially from loose-aggressive players.

Pokergod
06-21-2004, 04:02 PM
I've found though, that by establishing a rep as being TAG, that you can then use that play very effectively. The beauty part of it is that you usually don't have to show your hand.

Once you're caught though, look out. Especially if you hit the hand you were origianlly settig up to draw to, like the straight or flush, and you turn that 3-bet hand over, good players will take notice. You'll want to have a powerhouse next time you three bet.

-PG

andyfox
06-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Great post. My favorite: "a softly churning sea of chips." Beautiful.

I love the old movie The Third Man. (See it if you haven't.) I call this type of situation the Third Man Theory. If you were first in, a blind only has to consider one relationship, A vs. B. But with The Third Man involved, he now has to consider A vs. B, A vs. C, B vs. C and A vs. B vs. C.

What a strange world we pokerites inhabit. Someone uses the word KweenGoot and nobody needs an explanation. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zeno
06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Very enjoyable post, again.

[ QUOTE ]
After putting the hypothetical occurance and the actual occurance side by side, I believe that had it been folded to me on the button, my best choice would have been to fold, but at the same time, I believe that after the limper limped, my best choice was to raise. Because of limprotection. Because the guys in the blind who otherwise would play back with any ace against my preflop openraise from the button, or maybe checkraise the flop headsup against me just for the hell of it, they would be disarmed, preflop, and on the flop, by the limper. And preflop, because they knew that I knew that the presence of the limper meant that I had no shot of taking this pot down without a flop, they would have to put me on some kind of hand, and they are the type to fold the blinds to a raise if they have medium cards or worse, if they think they are up against a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say we dub this, Level T for Tommy.

Say we dub the following, Level O (for Zeno).

I have Q8 and the button, so I raise.

Full circle?

-Zeno

cero_z
06-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi Tommy,
I like your line here, and I agree that limprotection is a very real and useful concept. The main reason why this will work for you, I suspect, is that you are a cut above the other good players in the game (who sound like straightforward, tight opponents) , and they fear you. As one poster noted, if they were to play a little fiercer, you'd have a much dicier sicheeayshun on your hands. So that condition that has worn out its welcome with me has its upside, obviously.

mike l.
06-22-2004, 07:07 AM
this is either sick or great or some combo of both, but i could relate completely to everything in your post.