Based on the chip counts[available at pokerpages] after Day One[348 left]:

Johnny Chan - Winner

Ram Vaswani

Julian Gardener

Layne Flack

Padraig Parkinson

Joe Beevers

3 "unknowns" as mentioned previously.

New dark horse: 1992 champ Hamid Dastmalchi, if you can call a former winner a "dark horse"....

All seven I picked are prolly gone by now, ~9 pm PST, but guess I'll have to wait for ppages/rgp-google to update.

05-21-2002, 11:59 PM

05-22-2002, 12:35 AM
I've always been very imporessed with fossilman's posts here. He is obviously a very good player. He posted one of the most interesting hands I've seen in which he takes down a big pot with a very smart move on what was obviously a stronger hand. The psychology of that one hand alone was enough to make me take notice. I hope to one day be the deep poker thinker he is.

Question: Does he really have a shot at the money in the big one?

Fitz

05-22-2002, 01:08 AM
Too bad Layne Flack got knocked out today. Otherwise your new prediction would be pretty good.

05-22-2002, 01:21 AM
There have been players w/only a fraction of Greg's tournament experience win[Furlong, although he's a 'natural', i.e. rich, fearless, & hyper-aggressive] or finish 2nd[McBride, Vincent, Goldfarb]. If he gets the cards he could absolutely win it. Greg's a family man and a successful lawyer, so I doubt he'd get all twitchy as the big money approached.

One thing's for sure, if Greg makes it to the final table w/a big stack, he won't proceed to lose his mind, play trash, and throw it all away at once to the chip leader, like certain former world champions I could name have done in the last few years...

05-22-2002, 01:10 PM
He has about T40K I think.