PDA

View Full Version : Hand for Review: QJs in the SB

Warik
06-21-2004, 12:25 AM
No reads.

His instant river raise scared me into thinking that he slowed down with his set thinking I had the straight and filled up on the river.

I hate my river play. Even if he had quads I think I should have 3-bet the river. Thoughts?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

ike
06-21-2004, 01:44 AM
What hand that you beat raises this board? I can't see any good reason to 3bet. He could be on any number of things from jacks full of some sort (I know theres only 1 jack left, these hands are nonetheless possible and his play seems to indicate them pretty strongly) to another queen, maybe even AQ, to a flopped set rivered boat. Most of these hands are capping you. I think its really unlikely he has raised something as weak as AK or trips with a high 1 card straight on the board. He could also be on a pure bluff or something bad enough to be effectively the same, but if he is he's not calling a 3bet. Unless this player is exceptionally bad or on out of control tilt you can't 3bet.
Call.
Expect to lose a majority of the time and chop a majority of the times you don't lose.

mplspoker
06-21-2004, 04:35 AM
Just call. He didn't hit a set on the flop, b/c most likely he would have three bet you preflop 1-on-1 with any mid pocket pair... but it doesn't mean he didn't have KJ,KQ,JQ,J10,-- you can't beat any of these hands, so don't three bet......

Nate tha' Great
06-21-2004, 04:59 AM
Calling is fine against an unknown. He can see as well as you that a Q makes a straight, and he's raised anyway.