PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the 5/10 shorthanded newbie

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm a 2/4 and 3/6 player looking to move up at Party. I've not played SH since my 1/2 days, but did well there. It looks like all the action at 5/10 is at the 6-max tables. Since the average pot is the same as at full table (or better) I'm guessing all the action junkies have made this their home, making the games juicy and tender, but I suspect they play much tougher than the 1/2. Not sure exactly what I'm asking for here, but any advice on making the move from 3/6 to 5/10 SH would be appreciated. My style of play is fairly TAG, but I still play a few too many hands from EP. My PT numbers for the last 20K hands at 2/4 & 3/6 are:

VP$IP: 17.66%
SF-All: 23.6%
SF not in blind: 15%
PF-Raise: 7.04%
AF-T: 1.71 AF-T 1.71 AF-R: 1.51
W$SD: 54.87%

stripsqueez
06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
dont loosen up much pre-flop - double your pre-flop raise % and increase your flop and turn aggression factor

do a couple of searches through this forum and you'll find all the detail

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

ProfLupin
06-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Strip's advice is right on. I'm fairly new to 5/10 SH myself (7000 hands or so). Early on when you're trying to raise your aggression factor and not sure in which situations to do so, I'd recommend picking the spots where you have position. Then after you get the feel of the game you'll know when to put the aggression on out of position. Just something I've tried to do with good success with my switch to this game.

Schneids
06-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Psychologically, prepare yourself for swings unlike you've ever experienced.

You'll have a session where you are down 50BB or more in ten minutes. Be ready for the swings and accept they are a sucktacular part of this game. The type of sessions where you get check raised by bottom pair, you 3-bet, they cap, then lead out on the turn, you call, then on the river they catch their trips, and plenty of spots where people cap their draws repeatedly and make them 110% of the time against your made hands.

Be ready to vomit making value bets that make you cringe in the toughest of spots as the board becomes progressively more scary with each and every new card added to it, and as soon as you master the gag-induced hurler at the snap of a finger will you then be ready to take on short handed play.

No guts, no glory.