PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Adjustments for a Winner-take-all MTT?

Dentist
06-20-2004, 05:29 PM
I am playing in a tourney tonight where the winner gets a 5 day cruise, and the rest of the players get booby prizes.

I could care less whether I got a booby prize or was the first one out, so to me it is winner take all.

How would you approach this kind of tourney.
I expect over 100 people in it, but probably not over 250.

I assume getting a big stack and pushing some marginal edges early on would be important, as would getting in there with the crazies early on and trying to get their chips.

I also assume that at the final table survival then becomes irrelevent (which is vastly different that "regular" tournies, and you should always push it here as well...

Is this a situation where pedal-to-the-metal poker is the law?

SossMan
06-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Depending on how bad the other players are, you will have to take some more than normal risks early. The worse the players, the less likely I am to engage in marginal situations (better ones will come). I would get aggressive w/ a big stack.

Morbo
06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Play it like a cashgame, pushing every single little edge you can get.

SossMan
06-20-2004, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play it like a cashgame, pushing every single little edge you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is how it should be played if he were of average skill, but the worse the competition, the more I would eschew close edges.

AceKQJT
06-21-2004, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the more I would eschew close edges.

[/ QUOTE ]
God Bless You!...Oh...wait...you said eschew, not achoo. Well anyway, I see you changed your picture.

--Casey

SossMan
06-21-2004, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
God Bless You!...Oh...wait...you said eschew, not achoo. Well anyway, I see you changed your picture.

--Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

you like?