PDA

View Full Version : I played this like crap right?

DeathDonkey
06-20-2004, 04:44 PM
3/6 Live with Kill. We are in a kill pot (so I'm playing 6/12 and probably tentative).

I raise in EP with TT, MP reraises quickly, button cold calls 3 and I call. Here's what I know: Button sucks, he is a big fish having a great night. MP on the other hand, hasn't been at our table long, but has been pretty quiet. He will make the first raise with 2 big cards and alot of pocket pairs. He has not 3 bet ever since he has sat down. I am not thrilled.

Flop comes 865 two clubs (I have ten of clubs). I check, MP bets, button calls, I check-raise, MP quickly 3 bets, button folds and I call.

Turn is a red king and I check and now MP checks behind!
River is a non club 4 and I check. MP bets quickly and I call.

Who likes my hand and how badly did I play it?
Thanks in advance,
DeathDonkey

Ponks
06-20-2004, 05:08 PM
I think you are behind JJ or QQ here, but I think you played it fine, not much else to do really. Possibly ahead of 99 but it doesnt seem like it to me. What makes you think you played it so bad? I think his 3-bet of your checkraise says you are behind, but you did get the turn for free. What do you think you shoulda done different?

Ponks

DeathDonkey
06-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi Ponks,

Thanks for your comment. I thought of a lot of different / better ways to play this hand, but I can't shake the feeling that I really didn't know a good way at the time and that's more why I posted it than anything. During the hand I felt confused about what I should be doing.

My first thought is that I should have bet out on the flop instead of C/Ring because even if he raises, it probably knocks out the 3rd player, which gives me a better chance of not being outdrawn if I am ahead.

I also think I should have capped and led the turn if I thought I was ahead on the flop. If I was behind, I didn't really have alot to draw to and was just giving away more money.

When the turn got checked through, I was really upset with how I played it because it became clear to me that I was either ahead, or could get him to lay down on the turn (this assessment is probably not accurate, but I felt that way at the time). Then when the river completed the 4 card straight I did nothing to win the pot if I was behind but instead gave him one more bet by checking and calling.

May as well also include the results. When I called the river he turned over 77. I was so shocked that he had sevens I turned over my tens as if they were good, failing to recognize the straight. I was expecting to see jacks or queens, exactly as you said.

I had to leave shortly after this hand as I could not get it out of my head and was very upset with myself for allowing him to control the action with an inferior hand and to draw out on me in the biggest pot I played that evening.

-DeathDonkey

highlife
06-20-2004, 11:18 PM
you played the hand fine, you think a turn bet would have gotten him to lay down an open ended straight draw? I also think there are two many hands that can beat you to cap it on the flop with TT.

Here is how I would have played the hand based on your reads...

Bet out the flop, call the raise.

Bet out the turn, fold if he raises again. (if you are raised TT is beat and you are looking at a two outer)

Check and call the river.

Bob T.
06-20-2004, 11:25 PM
I read the whole thread, so I know the results, but I really don't think you played terribly here. I would have probably played the hand pretty close to the same way.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.