PDA

View Full Version : encourage people to become pot committed?

t_perkin
06-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I have occaisonally limped or called a min raise with the main objective of getting some action going at the table.

For example today: 20+2 Party 230 entrants, 20 remaining. blinds 750/1500 avg stack about 18k.

I have about 25k.

I call with ATs in UTG+2 behind a min raise from UTG.

Plays like this seem to lead a lot more players into the pot which often ends up committing a few players either preflop or on the flop.

This seems to be a good way to get a few players knocked out with a relatively small outlay.

Of course this is not something I do all the time. But in some situations it seems like an easy way to move up the money. I am basically playing on peoples poor flop play and encouraging people to become pot committed.

Are there situations where other people do this? or am I being stupid?

Thanks

Tim

SossMan
06-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Do you mean calling as to encourage other callers so that the chances are fairly high that someone or two will be knocked out? I suppose that you will get out of the way unless you hit really big. Interesting....i'm not sure

drdre2001mm
06-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Your strategy strongly depends on stack size and what type of person your opponent is. If he limps in preflop and that was about 25% of his chips he will more than likely be willing to push all in with a mediocre hand or just overcards. This is a strategy that can used very well if not used often and used against the right person. Good luck.s

t_perkin
06-21-2004, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you mean calling as to encourage other callers so that the chances are fairly high that someone or two will be knocked out? I suppose that you will get out of the way unless you hit really big. Interesting....i'm not sure

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is the general idea.

I haven't seen it discussed in TPFAP or here before? (tho I am not a MTT complete regular).

It seems to work quite well.

Anyone got an suggestions as to when to NOT try it? obviously you need a decent sized stack yourself, and you need a few opponents around with <7 or so BB.

Also how do you play against this?
e.g.

You are in MP with AJs and about T10,000 blinds are 1k/2k
(assume all players have a similar or slightly larger stack)

2/3 players limp in front of you.

you call? push in?

Thanks

Tim

37offsuit
06-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Depends on the prize structure and relevant stack sizes. I'd never limp here. Either fold or push.