PDA

View Full Version : My new favourite trick.

TylerD
06-20-2004, 01:30 PM
This is a tip I read somewhere and has been working well for me for this weekend:

Slightly below average stack and reasonably high blinds, say 1500 with blinds at 75/150. Two or three limpers I'm on the button (possibly CO) or one of the blinds with a mediocre hand (say TJ), I push.

It seems to work if the limpers aren't too loose and don't have very large or very small stacks, also the size of the all-in should be at the least twice the pot and it would help if your hand was good enough to give you outs (e.g. suited). The only other problems I can foresee are tricky limpers who will limp with monsters if the game is very aggressive or if you make a habit out of it.

Eder
06-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I know lotta guys limping with AA/KK...only way u gonna get called is if guy had monster waiting for this move...I think 4x BB raise safer...if limper pushes here you can fold and hope for better spot, if called you can push after flop or bail if you miss...in SB you're out of position and will be very tough to play if a limper calls you

Seems the only upside to your play is steal blinds and a bit more..downside is you're outta the game...too scarey if your stack is still 1500...you have time to pick better spots imo

AtlBrvs4Life
06-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I like this move. I do it every now and then from BB in the same type of situation. You will rarely get called, and if you don't you pick up a good amount of chips.

TylerD
06-20-2004, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
only way u gonna get called is if guy had monster waiting for this move

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't want to get called. The limpers have shown weakness by not raising, unless they are limp re-raising with AA, KK (not common at the $27 and $33 level) I will take the pot down then and there.

Cptkernow
06-20-2004, 02:20 PM
This reminds me of one of the most concrete reads I have ever had in an online sng.

It was on a 100 turbo at stars. It was late on and there were about 6 players left. One of the players who had a smaller stack than me but a larger stack than 3 other players which is long arsed way of saying I was in 2nd and he was in third.

Now this table was unuasualy loose passive with a lot of limping and small bets. There didnt seem to be much aggresion apart from one other player the player I was to get a read on he was acting with what seemed fairly soilid selective aggresion and I had him pegged as a possible threat.

So a situation comes up as you describe, there are alot of limpers and because of the weak nature of the table I decide to make the move you describe as I am confident it will take down the pot there and then.

However this other player who is immediatly to my right has to act before me and sure enough he pushes all in and takes down the whole pot. I realised that he had made the same conclusion as me and had rised going all in with perhaps not a premium hand because he thought he could take down the pot with an all in.

Several hands later and the blinds are 75/150. I am dealt AKs on the button. There are several players who limp and I realize with glee that he is going to push all in I know he is and I know the chances of him having a hand to make my AKs a dog are greatly reduced because he is playing his chips not his cards.

I call his allin the limpers all fold and he shows 57s in the same suit as my AKs.

I take down the third stack and gain the chiplead.