PDA

View Full Version : First SnG Heads-up

dfscott
06-20-2004, 11:47 AM
I took a stab at the PS NLHE SnG just to get a change from the limit ring grind. I have to admit, it was very fun. However, I quickly realized that I have no idea how to play heads-up. The button had held the lead for a good part of the tournament and we'd been playing heads up for a while, swapping the chip lead back and forth.

Comments are appreciated...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Button (t7975)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t5525)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1225) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t800</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, Button calls t1600.

Turn: (t6025) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t2800</font>, Hero calls t2300 (All-In).

River: (t11125) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t11125
<font color="green">Main Pot: t10625 (t10625), between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (t10625).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t500 (t500), returned to Button.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows Kh 4d (two pair, kings and sevens).
Hero shows 2d 2s (two pair, sevens and twos).
Outcome: Button wins t11125. </font>

Nemesis
06-20-2004, 02:25 PM
You were ahead when the money went in... so what more can you ask for.... he hit one of his 6 outs.

dfscott
06-20-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You were ahead when the money went in... so what more can you ask for.... he hit one of his 6 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I know that now, but I always think of 22 and 33 as trap hands, since *every* card is an overcard. I guess my question is:

a) once I didn't flop a set, does it make sense to continue?

b) does it make sense to believe that I'm ahead on the turn?

AtlBrvs4Life
06-20-2004, 03:56 PM
I would have played it the same way. On the flop there are only 5 cards he can have that beat you (or a higher pp). All your money went in as about a 60% favorite. What more can you ask for?

Hood
06-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm not a fan of the smooth call PF - but then I rarely making a move like this unless I've got a big PP and want to trap. Raise if you think he's trying to steal, fold he's playing tight. From your description of how the HU was going, he's playing good HU, being agressive, and that minraise shows weekness. I'd push. A good % of the time he'll fold. If he calls, your probably up slightly better than even money.

But then I'm not the most successful HU player, perhaps I need educating too /images/graemlins/smile.gif The way I see it, if I smooth call, 3 overcards will come on the flop. When (or if - but a PF raise is usually met with a flop raise) I'm bet in to, how am I going to know where I stand?

In this hand, you didn't - you just called on the flop and hoped. This time you were right but what if he'd hit a pair? He would have played it the same way and this 'good play' would have become a very bad play. Make the moves yourself, give him the opportunity to fold.

fnurt
06-21-2004, 12:46 PM
OP did raise on the flop right? I'm pretty shocked the villain would call that raise with K4, but that's the way it goes.

Here's the thing. Once you raise the flop, over half your stack is in the pot, so you're not getting away from this hand. With that said, you should just push all-in on the flop. This is a great flop for your hand and it's very likely you're ahead, but you'd rather win it right now since your opponent will always have a draw to beat you.