PDA

View Full Version : General Large-Field Strategy in NL Hold 'Em

RPatterson
06-20-2004, 05:08 AM
Given typical opponents how loose/tight do you play at the different stages of the tournament in regards to your stack size? And why do you do this?

I am experimenting between playing almost every hand in the back seats and all pocket pairs and suited connectors up front and on the other side playing a very tight conservative game. So far I can't tell which is working well. Both have had their moments.

Also I seem to follow reverse of the common logic. When I have a big stack I play less pots because I don't need to. I can wait for situations to come. But if I have an average or less I turn it up more. So I don't try to run over the table with a big stack, that doesn't work online anyways.

Smasharoo
06-20-2004, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also I seem to follow reverse of the common logic. When I have a big stack I play less pots because I don't need to. I can wait for situations to come. But if I have an average or less I turn it up more. So I don't try to run over the table with a big stack, that doesn't work online anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't work if you have a big stack, but it works if you have an average one?

BroomcornsUncle
06-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Like anything else in poker, I think both ways can be correct, depending on the opponents. I generally play tight early on (again, will vary if there are rebuys) and let as many of the suckers bust out as possible. By playing only premium hands early, you'll be in a better position to bluff later on when the pots are larger.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-20-2004, 10:55 AM
I think going into any tourney with a preset strategy like this is a mistake.

Play each hand for itself, in whatever manner you determine maximizes your equity. Take into account the totality of the situation, especially your cards, your position, your image with each opponent, what you think they're doing and holding, stack sizes, etc.

Why come into a hand thinking you're going to play this one aggressively, when it may become clear in a moment or two that such a strategy would be a mistake this hand? Reweigh your options every time you make a decision, don't make your decision in advance of gathering all the information you can.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

RPatterson
06-20-2004, 05:15 PM
I didn't say I run over the table with an average stack, because that's not what I do. You still have to showdown.