PDA

View Full Version : Play a Bay101 tourney with me....long

SossMan
06-19-2004, 10:54 PM
The following are some hands from the Saturday morning Bay101 tourney.

$100+$20 buy in (T1000)
multiple $60 rebuys (T1000) during first three rounds
one $60 add on (T2000) after round three

80 players to start and probably another 10 alternates or so.
Final 10 get paid w/ first place getting $6060 plus a seat in the "Final Table Challenge".
The winners of ten weeks of Sat. tourneys play in a final table on Aug. 14. The winner of that gets a $15,000 seat as Bay101's representative to the televised final table challenge in Vegas.
The seat to the Bay101 final table is worth approx. $1700.

Hand #1:
Round 1, blinds 25/25
my stack = T1000

We are six handed and four stacks are being blinded off. Both blinds happen to be empty seats. I raise to T75 UTG w/ A /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif
Player two to my left calls. everyone else folds.

We check down a raggedy flop and my Ace high is good (he flashed a flopped gutshot w/ KQs)
------------------------------------------------------------

Hand #2
Blinds 25/25
My stack = T1050
Note: table has been very tight lately, w/ mini-raises taking it down preflop (strange for a rebuy tourney)

UTG limps
UTG +1 limps
CO limps
I raise to T100 on button w/ K /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB calls (T1200)
BB folds
limpers call.

Pot = T525 w/ five players

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

checked to me, I bet T300
SB (tricky little bastard) calls
everyone else folds.

Pot = T1125
Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, I go all in for T650, SB mucks.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hand #3

Round 2, Blinds 25/50
My stack down to T1450 after an aborted JJ on KAx flop

UTG limps (I have a hunch he's weak tight, not completely confirmed yet, though)
MP limps
LP limps
I complete in the SB w/ Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB checks

Pot = T250
4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif flop gets checked around.

Turn = 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets out the minimum T50
LP calls
I raise to T300 w/ my stinky garbage
UTG insta-calls. I put him on an 8.
LP folds.
Pot = T900

River is the J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I go all in to the non-8 card.

He thinks for, literally, two minuets. Finally calls and I ask for a rebuy while mucking my Q high rememberins someone smart telling me not to go broke in an unraised pot or something like that.
He shows me 45suited. Wow, maybe he's not as weak tight as I thought...

Hand #4
I have my T1000 rebuy stack. Blinds are now T50/T100

UTG (pretty LAG) busted on the previous hand and has T1000.
He raises to T300...folded to me on the button w/ A /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I muck.

Hand #5
Blinds T50/T100
My Stack T900

EP open raises to T300
MP calls
I go allin w/ KK in LP
EP calls
MP mucks
EP has QQ

Q on the turn. I fund the prize pool again w/ rebuy #2. yay!

Hand #6
Round 4, blinds 100/200 I had T700 left at the break, I took the add on, so I had T2700.
This hand, I'm down to T2100 after 2 rounds of blinds.
We haven't seen a flop since the Carter administration.

EP limps, I limp w/ K /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif in CO.
Button (T2700) limps
SB folds, BB checks.
3 to the flop w/ a pot of T700

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP checks
I check
Button is thinking and kinda nervously tapping the chip in his hand against his stack. He then throws a T1000 chip in the middle. I immediatly tell the dealer that he checked when he tapped his chip against his stack. Dealer calls the floor, and it is ruled a check. The guy seems fine w/ it.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (uh oh..what did I do to myself)

EP checks, I bet out T700, both players muck.

Whew..

Hand #7
Round 4, blinds 100/200

Stack = T2400

I fold Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB after 4 limpers.

Hand #8
Round 5, blinds T200/T400
My stack is T2400

I muck black 66 to a MP (T4000) open raise to T1400.

Note: Easy muck, obviously, but he gets a caller from LP and the BB.
Flop: K 6 5 rainbow
BB: AK
EP raiser: AA
LP: AK
I cry like Phil Hellmuth after a bad beat at my missed quintuple-uple-duple up.
Hand #9
Blinds still 200/400 ----- still about 40-45 players left
Stack T2400
I open push in MP w/ black 99.
SB calls for his last T1200
BB folds.
He flips up K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
He flops a duece, and makes runner, runner flush.
I'm down to T1200.

Hand #10
Very next hand.

I push w/ A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG.
folded to BB (T1,000,000) who calls me w/ K /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

The flop comes w/ a duece and two diamonds. I river the nuts.

Hand #11
Blinds 200/400
my stack = T2000

I open push w/ A9o on button
SB (T4000) calls w/ KJs.
My ace high is good.

Hand #12
Blinds 300/600
My stack = T3300

UTG open raises to T4000. I've played w/ this guy alot, and he is one of those guys that telegraphs his hand by betting alot from EP when he doesn't want callers and mini-raises w/ big pairs from EP. I *knew* he wouldn't play a bigger pair like this from UTG.
folded to me on CO w/ JJ.
I call, not that I would have mucked in absence of the read, but it made it very easy.
everyone else get out of the way.
I'm hoping to see a medium pair, but see KQo instead. yuck.

Final board is TTAAx. Guy to my left w/ a huge stack claims to have folded AQo...i'm not sure I believe him or not.

Hand #13
My stack of T7500 is about average. Probably 30-35 players left.
I open raise to T1800 in MP w/ red JJ.
Button calls his last T1300.
Blinds fold.

He has AKo.
Flop: A J x
My hand is goot.

Note: The table has become insanely tight preflop. If I had any playable hand at all, I would have been making 2.5x raises. I am completely card dead though.
Literally, three hands in a row are taken down preflop w/ a mini-raise.

Hand #14
Stack is T8500.
blinds are 300/600
I open raise for T1200 w/ 88. (I think this is the first time in my life I have mini-raised.)
Guy to my left (T10,000) calls. (I have a decent read on this guy, and I'm pretty sure this is a big pair or AK...i think he would have reraised w/ AQ or a smaller pair)
blinds fold.
heads up.

Flop is K x x
x < 8

I check, he bets out T2000....I almost push, but I wuss out and fold. He shows JJ. Damn, why don't I trust my reads...

At this point I am dead carded....nothing, nada, zilch.

Blinds go up to T500/T1000. I am blinded down to T5000.
Hand #14
I'm in the SB and have T4500 left after posting my blind.
MP (T20,000)raises to T6000 (I have no read on him)
I call in SB w/ 66.
BB pushes for ~T18k.
MP calls.
BB has AA
MP has AQs (?!)

Flop is 5 7 8 rainbow.
10 outs twice isn't bad.

No help, though, and I'm out in 22nd.

Feel free to comment on any of these hands.

SossMan
06-20-2004, 11:42 AM
anyone?

LAGmaniac
06-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Ok, I'll give my thoughts on a few of those hands, but take my advice for what it's worth, (not much) since I have little tournament experience myself.

Hand 2: (the one w/ KJs) Why not check through on the turn? You have top 2 pair and the second nut flush draw. You said he was tricky so I wouldn't be suprised if he made a move on the river to try to take the pot. You also might get a call on the river that you otherwise wouldn't have gotten. He may also "make" his hand on the river not realizing you made a better hand (for example if he catches a spade) I think he has at most 3 outs (more likely 1 or 2) so the risk involved in giving the free card is worth the reward, IMO.

Hand 3: (the one where you bluffed w/ Q8) I think your read of the UTG as being weak-tight is spot on. Having loose pf limping standards does not mean that he isn't weak tight post flop. The min bet after the check through should scare you, and the insta-call of your raise should have stopped you dead in your tracks. The weak-tight player doesn't play this way unless he has it IMO.

Final hand: (All-in with 66 in the SB) I think you had enough chips to wait for a better spot to push. As I'm sure you know you are at best a slight favorite and you are getting the button on the next hand with 4.5BB left.

Just my two cents, I'll be anxious to hear what others have to say.

La Brujita
06-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Just some quick thoughts.

Hand 1:

No idea what the flop was but as the preflop raiser I almost always come out betting heads up.

Hand 2:

Well played. What do you think of a check on the turn by you to induce a river bluff? Not sure if any/many river cards beat you. I usually play it like you, just playing devil's advocate.

Hand 3:

I prefer to lead out and bluff on the flop this hand, you are most likely to have hit the raggedy flop. Don't love your turn bluff, you are risking a large percentage of this stack on the bluff. Don't really like your bet on the river.

Hand 4+5:

well played

Hand 6:

I rarely if ever limp when the blinds get big. Don't know what others feel about this? If I raised I would lead out at the flop fwiw.

Hand 7:

I don't understand this fold at all.

8-9:

Well played!

10:

Curious what others think about this one. I would probably/possibly muck but your stack is rapidly decreasing so hard to fault you.

11:

I like this play.

12:

Nice read.

13:

What was the blind size here?

14:

Not sure about the mini raise but as you said if it is working. I lead out at this pot as well and fold to the reraise.

15:

I think I make the same play.

Nice post, interesting to see your tournament progress.

SossMan
06-20-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2:

Well played. What do you think of a check on the turn by you to induce a river bluff? Not sure if any/many river cards beat you. I usually play it like you, just playing devil's advocate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't sure if he had an OESD, and didn't want to give the free card, but w/ the flush draw, he probably had six outs. I think a turn check is debateable, but while we are still in the rebuy period, you usually get paid off more than normal.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3:

I prefer to lead out and bluff on the flop this hand, you are most likely to have hit the raggedy flop. Don't love your turn bluff, you are risking a large percentage of this stack on the bluff. Don't really like your bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still not sure about this one. If he has the 8, he probably bets a little more on the turn to protect from overcards, so he's either betting a small underpair to the 8 or maybe overcards...I really didn't put him on the 4 since I didn't think he was capable of limping preflop w/ any hand w/ a 4 (okay, maybe 44)
I figured my weak tight read gave me liscence here to pop the turn...should have given up on the river, i guess...i really thought he would lay down any non-4 hand. Oh well...

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 7:

I don't understand this fold at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I was scared of the flop coming Q J 2....bad fold, though, I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
13:

What was the blind size here?

[/ QUOTE ]

300/600

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post, interesting to see your tournament progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.