PDA

View Full Version : Against a VERY tricky LAG (2/4 Party)

nepenthe
06-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Notes on the villain: Tricky loose, bluffs a lot and goes very far sometimes."

UTG open-raises, folded to me and I raise the button to A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif (suit unimportant), folded to UTG who calls.

Flop: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG checks, I bet with my 2nd nut flush draw, UTG raises. Hmm. I 3-bet. UTG caps. I call.

River: Offsuit A.

UTG bets, I call.

Comments? Results later.

Tosh
06-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Check the turn.

JohnShaft
06-19-2004, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me but I'm not fond of putting 4 BB's in on the Turn with 9 outs to the nuts, and maybe another 6, if I'm lucky.

My preffered line is, amazingly checking the Turn if UTG will CR me with any pair, and he will bet the River if I check the Turn 100% of the time.
If he will checkraise anything, and not auto-bet the River if I check then I guess I bet.
But no way in hell do I 3-bet him giving him the opportunity to put in 4 bets. That's insanity against, well, pretty much everyone in my book.

nepenthe
06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
He showed 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and MHIG. I immediately proceeded to type in some more notes on him.

JohnShaft
06-20-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I immediately proceeded to type in some more notes on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Change the notes from "VERY tricky LAG" to "TOTAL fucking FRUITLOOP".

[I still don't like overplaying it this much though. Though of course it was right in this instance. But this guy is WAY beyond a very tricky lag.]

Nate tha' Great
06-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Call the turn with the intention of calling the river if unimproved. Raise the river if a K, A or flush card comes and call a 3-bet.

The key to beating these guys is (i) calling down a lot with okay hands - your unimproved AK suffices here; (ii) value betting like crazy with good hands. You don't need to put a ton of bets in when all you really want to do is see another card or a cheap showdown.

nepenthe
06-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. I agree I should probably have just called the turn and the river and 99 times out of 100 would have, but something in me just told me this guy was full of sh*t. This guy was open-raising/3-betting with A3o and bluffs out his lone opponent on the river (who later said he had a mid-PP) and shows his pair of 3's proudly. Once he bluffed out a somewhat weaktight player on the river and displayed his K-high. The other player had A-high. Et hoc genus omne.

On an unrelated note, this guy went up as far as $400 or more before plummetting all the way down to zero a couple hours later. Long live the piranhas.

MRBAA
06-21-2004, 12:03 AM
This is not a very tricky LAG, this is a maniac. Against a maniac, I like your play. Against a sane LAG, the turn raise is probably a mistake and the four bet is certainly folly.

BottlesOf
06-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Post deleted by BottlesOf

nepenthe
06-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Yes, my notes on him eventually evolved from "tricky LAG" to "maniac with a capital M." Against an unknown, I may or may not even bet the turn, and if I bet and raised, certainly call down.

sthief09
06-21-2004, 01:17 AM
yeah I like checking the turn here too. he's not folding to your bet, and he'll probably check-raise you with just about anything, and even if you have him beat he could still draw out on you. check it through and get a cheap showdown. if he bets and you hit something raise.