PDA

View Full Version : $60k in 60 days -- Days 36 & 37

Schneids
06-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Day Thirty Six (June 17, 2004) and Day Thirty Seven (June 18, 2004) -- 06.19.04, 18:20

For the sake of my poker playing, I really need the weather to stop being so nice out, seriously. I am taking this quest pretty seriously, and have often went out of my way to accommodate to -- but the past few days have just been too nice to pass up on. I know, it looks bad that I'm creating this journal finally at 6:20pm, nearly a day late, having once again skipped doing a journal the day before...

The past few days have seen me playing a lot of volleyball (around 8 hours worth), some late night tennis at lighted courts, a lot of running around doing errands/paying bills/shopping, visiting my Grandma, and plenty of other things. A couple of buddies are going to be out of town for the rest of Summer within the next week (one left yesterday, the other next weekend), so I feel like that's an acceptable reason to have went skimpy on my job. I suppose that's one of the benefits of working independently. Enough with the excuses though...

Day 36, Thursday, I got in one 45 minute session in the afternoon, and then a one hour session at night while playing in a state of mind that would have probably better called for passing out in bed. On that day, I decided to make the jump to 15/30 full tables just to see what it's like (I've played these a little in the past but never consistently) and for a change of pace, while hoping playing these will make short handed more enjoyable whenever I return to that. In the afternoon session, I was up $1571.50, and then at night when I shouldn't have been playing, I was up $454. With the help of James asking me what I put him on and what I thought he put me on in a hand when I 3-bet his turn raise with me holding AA on a KJ9x board (he had raised from the CO after two limpers and I 3-bet from the SB PF), in which he had KJ and I nailed an ace on the river, I was able to conclude "it's time for me to call it a night." So, I finished the day up $2025.50 with 1.75 hours.

Yesterday, Friday, I got in a 45 minute session of 15/30 and was up $600, then played 45 minutes in the evening and was -$40.50, then played a final session from about 11:30 to 3am and finished that one down $684.50, so the daily total had me at down $129.50 in 5 hours. Yesterday was frustrating in that I experienced a nice slew of 2, 3, and 4 out hits in $400-600 pots, where winning a couple of those changes the total complexion of how my session ends up. Oh well, it happens, and when it doesn't then there'll be more sessions like Thursday's where I was up over $2000 in less than 2 hours.

In assessing my change from 6-max back to full tables, I'm pleased with my preflop play. One of my worries was that I'd be unable to properly adjust to the extra seats and get too aggressive with hands I should be folding, but so far I think that has been going well. I've folded 88 to an UTG raise and me UTG+1, I’ve folded AJo to an UTG raise and 1 cold caller, and I haven't been opening with much junk yet. Post flop, I think I'm doing ok, but I'm still making a few mistakes here and there. In one hand I went way overboard with JTs on a jack high raggedy flop that had a diamond draw, in which I ended up raising a bet then capping when it came back to me, then continued to lead the turn and river, in which I lost to SB’s AJ. I think the cap is fine if I am intending to check the river, but there've been a few hands where overall I believe I've overplayed them. Likewise, I think there've been a few hands I've underplayed. Give me a couple more days of these games, and I believe I'll be more adapt to how these 15/30 full games typically flow.

In one hand, I felt like I was in 10/20 6-max all over again. There were 4 folds, then a limp, then a raise, one fold, and the SB called and I called from my BB with 7d7h. The flop brought Tc6d2c; check, I bet, limper called, PPR called all-in, and SB called. Turn Jh; I bet, limper called, SB folded. River Qd; I bet, limper called, and my hand was good against both the caller (As7s) and the all in (Ac9s). I had to close my eyes when making the river value bet (I feared the guy chasing a flush draw that would have paired a card to the turn or river), but at the same time it's not too hard of a bet to make since it's pretty easy to fold to a raise. At the time, it certainly felt like a tough value bet that made me a little squeamish.

Another hand that felt odd at the time: I raise KsQs in EP, 1 MP cold caller, and the BB calls. Flop Jd9s4s; BB bets, I raise, fold, BB 3-bets, I cap, BB folds. This hand is worth talking about since I think this shows one of the advantages of being someone that consistently pounds away on the flop, no matter what the cards are. At this table, earlier in the session, I had played a flopped set the exact same way, and I think that pounding away on one strong hand gives additional leeway in other hands. Not that I **always** aim to beat my opponent into submission on the flop, but in general, I do love giving flop action, especially since I feel strongly about taking control on the cheap streets to allow yourself more flexibility on the later streets (plus some opponents after seeing you give action on the flop a couple of times with what they'd regard as only ‘decent’ holdings, will then continue to give action on the turn... so your flop play doesn’t necessarily kill your action on the expensive streets). Maybe I'll discover this "strategy" is more suited for 6-max, but for now I will continue to generally exercise it in full tables.

It's time for me to end this journal so I can take a shower, since I just returned from 5 hours of volleyball this afternoon.

Total for Day 36: $2025.50
Total for Day 37: -$129.50
Goal to date after 37 days: $26,402.74/$60,000

Morbo
06-19-2004, 08:06 PM
I really think you need to give yourself a free day or two per week, just like an ordinary job has weekends...

Schneids
06-19-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really think you need to give yourself a free day or two per week, just like an ordinary job has weekends...

[/ QUOTE ]

A few light days (such as what I've had lately) and I'll be refreshed once again. Since this job is, for me anyway, more enjoyable than actual work, I think that makes it easier to go 7 days a week at it.

Plus, in my initial terms, I specified no days off -- so that is what I've gotta continue with (...we'll ignore my mulligan day /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

SlickRick
06-19-2004, 10:40 PM
I would not take a day off until I hit a semi prolonged losing streak or if I was feeling really burned out. Make the cash while the going is good.

mctommy015
06-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Well, I've been reading all your journal articles since you started your quest, and as a 19 year old (I seem to recall you're around my age) I just wanted to say what you're doing is amazing. Just remember you make in a couple hours what most college kids make in their entire summer. Keep it up, and I wish you luck.

MEbenhoe
06-20-2004, 03:34 PM
I'll second that post. I'm also a 19 year old college student, and only make $2500-$3000 over the summer. Poker is my main source of income during the school year, but with a weak internet connection that I'd never trust to play online at home, and the gambling laws in Wisconsin that is pretty much taken away from me during the summer. Even worse Canterbury, where I play all of my B&M poker is at best a 5 hour drive from Milwaukee. So keep it up man, you're doing this summer what a lot of us wish we could be doing, but can't because of different situations.

Also, I understand you not wanting to take any days off because its not how you outlined your original plan. However, if you ever decide to do this past this summer as your main source of income, I'd definitely recommend working in one or two days per week completely away from the poker table. Good luck!

drdre2001mm
06-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I really admire what your doing. While it looks like you might end up just a little behind your goal what you have done in these 37 days is truely amazing to a low limit player like myself. I'm just wondering how old you are and what you plan to do with your profit(move up in limits, cash it out??)Good luck with the rest of your quest.

Nemesis
06-20-2004, 06:31 PM
yeah this is amazing for sure... keep up the good work.

Blarg
06-20-2004, 10:10 PM
It cracked me up reading about how aggressively you played those 7's...and just as much about the crap people called you with! So I guess it sort of evened out.

Makes it clear to me how different the 6-max tables you're used to differ from the games I'm used to playing.

Great reading your posts and they give me a lot to think about sometimes. They definitely serve as a warning for how much more I'm going to have to learn before I can play at your level. I wouldn't have a clue in games where a pair of 7's gets multiple calls by people with even worse hands and can even be value bet on the end.

1800GAMBLER
06-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Buy a BMW! Oh wait, that's been done already.

Schneids
06-21-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering how old you are and what you plan to do with your profit(move up in limits, cash it out??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20, and a few of my plans with poker money are as follows:
1) Save a lot of it and put it to use for future expenses (ie paying for college, apartments, etc).
2) Finally buy myself a car.
3) Start an IRA or mutual fund or something of the sort.

As right now I'm adaquetely bankrolled for 10/20 and 15/30 games, I don't have any immediate plans of working up any higher. If I consistently beat these games for another 6 months I think I'll consider 30/60 at a few of the sites if the games look ok. My main short term poker goals will involve becoming a better tournament player.

Capn486
06-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow, great job. Keep up the good work. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
06-21-2004, 02:52 PM
0.5) PAY TAXES

Schneids
06-21-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
0.5) PAY TAXES

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I paid taxes last year and have already made two payments to the IRS this year for 2004 gambling, with two more scheduled at the end of Q3 and Q4.

arkady
06-21-2004, 05:53 PM
you are making for 2004 already? we can do that?

Schneids
06-21-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are making for 2004 already? we can do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Talk to an accountant about getting "esimated taxes" form.

Meatmaw
06-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are you going to post the full log of this on a website or anywhere? I'd love to scan through them in their entirety sometime.