PDA

View Full Version : AQ on the button

byronkincaid
06-19-2004, 03:40 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1365)
CO (t2840)
Hero (t1835)
SB (t1880)
BB (t1210)
UTG (t1410)
UTG+1 (t1460)
MP1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to t200, CO folds, Hero calls t200, SB calls t175, BB folds.

Flop: (t650) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 bets t100, Hero raises to t500, SB folds, MP2 raises to t900, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t2450) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 bets t265 (All-In), Hero calls t265.

River: (t2980) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2980

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 shows Kd Ad (two pair, aces and fours).
Hero shows Qd Ac (two pair, aces and fours).
Outcome: MP2 wins t2980. </font>

$25 Turbo. Should I have folded to the reraise on the flop?

TylerD
06-19-2004, 05:56 PM
No - not IMO, you are pot committed with a very sturdy hand. I might have been tempted (definately would have with hindsight!) to re-raise preflop to about 500 to "find out where I am" if he went all-in I'd probably try and make a good fold but don't whether I'd be able to. Basically you were unlucky IMO.

gergery
06-19-2004, 05:59 PM
This is opponent and game dependent.

AK is one of the most common raising hands in poker. In a good game, AQ is a fold to a preflop raise like that as you are an underdog to any pair and to AK.

In a looser game where MP might do that with AJ, AT, etc. calling is not terrible but not great. Raising might be better as he could fold AK or TT to an allin, but again risky.

Once he reraised you on the flop, you can put him on AK and get away if he is moderate or good. If you've seen him be bad or loose and think he's got KK/QQ or AJ/AT then you can call, but its still risky.

Best play is to fold preflop, imho.

--Greg

HUSKER'66
06-19-2004, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have folded to the reraise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word..........yes.

Haven't read the results yet, but you can usually read a 4 x BB raise preflop for A/K, A/? or a PP.

With that flop and the preflop raiser betting into me, I would tend to drop my PP read and put him on an Ace of some sort with big slick leading the way.

With a 100t teaser into a 650t pot, it looks like a typical "rope a dope" type play. (no offense meant so don't take it that way)I definately would not have come over the top with a raise of 500t.You would have been better of with a smooth call. Your not commiting a large portion of you chips thus tying you to the pot, and you can make a more informed decision later in the hand.If one of your 5 outs hits on the turn (3-queens and 2-fours) you might be ahead, otherwise I think you can feel strong with the fact your behind and fold to a turn bet.

I'm guessing you came across big slick and lost....I'll go back and look, but with the action that I saw that would be my guess.

Play well,

Husker

Beavis68
06-19-2004, 06:22 PM
I would probably have folded pre-flop, I dont like calling raises with AQ or QK unless the oppenent is very weak.

byronkincaid
06-19-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With a 100t teaser into a 650t pot, it looks like a typical "rope a dope" type play

[/ QUOTE ]

He certainly roped a dope this time but often in my experience an underbet like this means he's missed the flop and is trying to get me to fold on the cheap. Or he's got Ax and is worried about his kicker.

I think its because if I had his hand I would have made a pot sized bet, that I couldn't put him on a good hand here. In fact I would put him on AA here before AK. Oh well I have learnt something and will consider this play in the future.

Thanks for the replies