PDA

View Full Version : Bad move?

Beavis68
06-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Low buy-in 6-seat tourney on UB, 750 or so started, down to 100, I am 50th in chips, to 49 pay out, it is an added game to, so decent pay-outs.

I had be playing very aggresively, and had a bigger stack from early on. Making bluffs from the right spots, playing fairly well, and getting lucky.

I get to a new table, near the button I have 6 6 blinds are 150/300, no ante yet.

Two limper in the pot, so there are 1000 chips out. Both players and the blinds have 4000 or less. I have about 7800.

I decide to put them all-in. Was this a horrible move? Any times to do it, not to do it?

Smasharoo
06-19-2004, 03:53 PM
It's a horrible move. When you get called you're almost allways at best a coin flip, and often a bad underdog to higher pairs.

Dornkirk
06-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I don't like the move because, as Smasharoo said, if you get a call, your pretty much guarateed a 50-50 chance of winning the pot and maybe a big dog. I think the standard play (and probably the best if you have a loose table image at this point) would be to limp in yourself and see if you hit a set or other favorable board. If you have a stronger table image and your play post-flop is strong, I couldn't argue with a 3xBB raise here either to put pressure on the limpers with shorter stacks, especially on the bubble.

Martin Aigner
06-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Beavis68,

[ QUOTE ]
Any times to do it, not to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are times to do it, and times not to do it. A time not to do was in your spot. You had plenty of chips, your opponents had enough chips, you will get called by lots of hands which beat you and not get called by hands which are behind you, so this makes it a clear -EV play.

Times to do it: These are rather rare, but I could think of some, such as: If you had about 1400 and the other players had about 2000-3000 (which means losing that pot would hurt them a lot). Or: You have a monster stack, say something like 15000 and the others have about the same as they did in your hand and it was bubble situation. Of course you should have a tight image in that case and not the image of a bully or maniac.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Martin Aigner
06-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Seele,

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't argue with a 3xBB raise here

[/ QUOTE ]

There were already 2 limpers, which makes a 3xBB raise to little. A proper raise would be about 5xBB, which means it´s about 1500 or a bit higher. Since the other players have 4000 or less our hero is somewhat potcomitted, and therefore I´d prefer the all in move to the 5xBB raise.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Beavis68
06-19-2004, 06:31 PM
I have been kicking myself over this one all night. It was that rare game where the cards were really coming, and I was making moves at the right time.

My thinking was, I was going to get fancy, put the other players in a position where they could only call with a big pocket pair - since everyone limped I thought I was safe.

Instead, I ended up looking like a butthead and blew a nice chance to cash. Thanks for the thoughts and not being too brutal. Hopefully all these lessons will sink in on day.