PDA

View Full Version : Is this a proper QQ laydown?

TEBPilot
06-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t800)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t855)
CO (t800)
Button (t790)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)
UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to t70, MP1 calls t70, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t70, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t55.

Flop: (t305) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets t100, MP1 folds, CO folds, UTG calls t100.

Turn: (t505) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (t505) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets t500, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1005

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

Truck Wiseman
06-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Hmmm. With your check on the turn its hard to say. He could easily have made this bet with no cards. I can't see how it makes sense to have made it with a jack or a king in his hand. I am inclined to think you should have called.

HajiShirazu
06-19-2004, 02:37 PM
I think this is pretty standard. When the guy calls the flop I immediately put him on a J, unless I know that he is an extremely poor player. Too many hands beat you and it's still early.

David BB
06-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Should have bet 2-300 or so on the turn. If he check-raises you on the turn you can fold. If he just calls take a free show down.

TylerD
06-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I think your laydown was fine, it was still early and the pot wasn't huge. However, as David indicated you opened yourself up to a bluff by not betting the turn.

triplc
06-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I really don't like the post-flop bet of T100 here...it doesn't really do anything for you in this hand. It's going to give anyone on a draw odds to draw, and anyone with a jack or a monster hand is going to call as well.

On this flop, I would lead out strongly (pot-sized bet). However, this points to one of the problems with playing at Party and their meager 800 chips. Quite often their SnGs boil down to one hand, and if you lead out strongly, and someone has the J, then you are in big trouble. In the same situation on Stars, I can lead out for 300 chips, and fold it up if I need to because I will still have over 1K chips to work with. I hate Party...

Tough hand, but I'd probably come out firing and hope the ladies are good. If not, try and play the short stack well or sign up for the next tourney.

CCC

TEBPilot
06-20-2004, 07:05 PM
I appreciate your comments. I was playing rather conservative on this hand because it was so early in the tourney. A bet of 200-300 would put me on a very short stack given the Party starting chips. I realize that I opened myself up for a bluff on the turn when the King came but that overcard was enough for me to shut it down. If the Jacks didn't make his hand, there's a good chance that the king did. Not trying to counter any advice given in these posts, just giving the reasoning behind my move. As it turns out I was able to go on and place 2nd in this tourney. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

patrick dicaprio
06-20-2004, 09:39 PM
this is a decision i struggle with and I am still never sure it is worth it, namely when to bet a good portion of your stack when you are not sure where you are at. last night i made this bet twice and twice got called and lost. my thought after was that perhaps if i have to bet a good portion of my stack maybe i am better off not doing so even if it opens me up to a bluff. obviously that cant be correct but it is a tough decision and one that i am sure i often screw up.

Pat

Cashcow
06-21-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm sure the last thing you want to hear is advice from a newbie, but here goes anyway.
I would call. His check on the turn tells me that the King didn't help him and I can't see how the 5 on the river could possibly help him.
I believe he was simply bluffing at the pot.
I would have bet 150 on the turn, if he raises, fold. At least this way he would give you something to go on.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will let me know if I am, but I can't see giving him a free river card to maybe catch something. At worst you would be down an extra 150, and if he is just fishing, he folds and you get the pot.
HMMMM This could be the reason I haven't been doing so well lately.

Please don't hurt me too bad with your responses, I know how cruel some people on this forum can be, constructive critisism is always best.

Truck Wiseman
06-21-2004, 06:31 PM
I am intrested in the variety of responses here. There seems to be a minority of two in favour of calling. I am one of them so here's why: if I am the hero's opponent here, the check on the turn smells like weakness. I have checked to him, remember. If he isn't going to bet the turn, how can he possibly call a bet of 500 on a blank river? Looks like a solid spot for a bluff to me. What's more if he has the jacks, why does he bet so much? Everything up to this point indicates that the hero doesn't have them, so if he had been slowplaying them, why doesn't he make a milking bet here? If he has the king, making such a big bet is suicide. It can only be called by the better hand. Surely you would want to make something exploratory. So all in all, my gut feeling here is that the guy is bluffing and the ladies are good.

Feel free to shoot my reasoning down in flames. I understand the broader point about not getting involved so early etc, but I'll put my neck on thee line and say that I think the call here, especially on Party, is +EV.

TEBPilot
06-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Probably the main reason I didn't get too involved with this hand is two-fold. First of all, let's suppose that the UTG player has the jack. A check-call on the flop would be pretty standard with a set. The river comes and he checks once again. This also makes sense. Why not check when I'm already betting into him, allowing me to hang myself. The king on the turn really caused me to shut it down. After all, he did call a preflop raise so what possible hands could he have? If he didn't have the Jack, the King could have very well made his hand. Perhaps I was being a bit conservative in this situation but I felt I was being slowplayed here. Thanks for all the comments. Any others would be greatly appreciated.

mackthefork
06-22-2004, 10:41 AM
His play seems consistent to having hit trip jacks on the flop to me. Good fold imo.

Regards ML