PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on low limit hold em

topspinner
06-19-2004, 09:48 AM
I had a discussion the other day with a poker playing buddy and wondered what you all though. If you can put a % influence in terms of how much you win....what % would you put on table selection, luck and skill. For me right now, table selection is the most important to my bottom line. I would say table selection 50%, skill 30% and luck 20%. He thought luck should be a higher number. I just have found that I am going to win a whole lot more money when 4 or 5 people are seeing the flop versus 1-2 people.

BusterStacks
06-19-2004, 11:55 AM
You're also going to lose a lot more depending on the agression of the table. I say:

Skill 50%
luck 30%
table 20%

deacsoft
06-19-2004, 12:50 PM
table selection: 25%
skill: 60%
luck: 15%

ctv1116
06-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Table Selection 70%

Skill 30%

Luck 0%

In the long run, luck plays no role in your results.

Warik
06-19-2004, 01:45 PM
There's no such thing as luck as in the long term all lucky wins will be offset by unlucky beats and everything will converge on the statistical norm.

If your skill is high enough and your opponents' skill is low enough, then the statistical norm will be you having lots of money.

bisonbison
06-19-2004, 01:59 PM
The amount of hands needed to remove luck's greasy hand from your results is incredibly large - years and years of play. That having been said, there's nothing you can do about luck, so just ignore it.

At low limits, table selection often means being able to sit down at a table.

Skill: 60%
Not tilting: 10%
Table selection: 30%

whiskeytown
06-19-2004, 02:08 PM
skill and table selection are proportional, really

the greater your skill, the less likely table selection is gonna matter - you'll play better then most of the players at the table, and drag more money....less skillful you are, more important it is not to get on a really good table.

primo example - signed up at Canterbury for 6/12 - dragged a couple great pots when some dumbass called my AA raise with A9 - but after he busted, I saw a chop about every 4th hand... - table was way too tight, and too many good players there - so I left -

it may have been beatable, but not like a 4/8 game with morons who like action.... -

RB

topspinner
06-19-2004, 03:40 PM
I was not really referring to the long run, more of on a per session basis (100 hands or so). I know over the long run (whatever the hell that is), luck is pretty much a non factor. I will give you a an example why I think table selection is the most important, I had AJs and hit the nut straight on the turn. there were no boat or flush possibilities. Both the river and turn were capped, there were two guys calling and raising, besides me, i was sure one or both had AJ, neither did and I took down a $45 pot. If that was a table with good players, I guarantee that at most it would have been a $25 pot. If I am playing on a table where only 25% of the peoplea are seeing the flop, I find it very hard to win. Also, for whatever reason and I still can't figure this out if over 60% are seeing the flop, I can't win either...that is a whole other subject.

blackaces13
06-19-2004, 04:21 PM
On a session to session basis luck probably accounts for 80% of your results unless you are truly horrible and play everyhand to the river.

Once you're even close to rational I think table selection and skill are pretty small factors for an individual 2 or 3 hour session. Maybe table selection 12% and skill 8%. That's the breakdown IMHO. I'm sure others will disagree.

Blarg
06-19-2004, 06:50 PM
The thing is, skill isn't really a variable for daily play.

You have the skill you have, no other. Though you may improve it later, today, what you have is what you have.

So the real daily variables for any player out of those three have to be shifted over to just table selection and luck.

Luck you can't control or predict, so it's hard to estimate its influence.

So for all intents and purposes, the only thing you have control over at all, in the immediate term, is table selection.

That would make it effectively the most important factor of those three in daily play.

tolbiny
06-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Also, for whatever reason and I still can't figure this out if over 60% are seeing the flop, I can't win either...that is a whole other subject.

Are you kidding me?
make it the subject.

Tosh
06-19-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was not really referring to the long run, more of on a per session basis (100 hands or so).

[/ QUOTE ]

20% table selection, 30% skill and 50% luck