PDA

View Full Version : How good is AJ?

BroomcornsUncle
06-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Playing in a small multi table no limit tourney, I'm at the 2nd to last table, about 8 spots away from the money. I'm in early position (not BB), and short stacked, but still with about $1100 in chips. Have AJ offsuit, push in, everyone folds except BB, who calls w/ Q8s. Flop is K, T, 9, so his Q is dead. Sadly, villain hits his 8 on river and I'm out.
Did I overplay the AJ in that spot? Would love some feedback on this as its a hand I've had mixed success with in the past.

whiskeytown
06-19-2004, 09:11 AM
given the level of detail you've supplied in this ticket, I can safely say - it depends...

put more info in...how much are blinds...how big is your stack relative to those...4-6 times BB - I'd be all in there in a heartbeat and pray a dumbass with Q8 doesn't call.

RB

BroomcornsUncle
06-19-2004, 05:29 PM
I realized after I wrote this I could have added more detail: blinds were $150/$300 at that point, with about 5 minutes before they went to $200/400, which would have hit me, I had about $1100. Villain probably had about $3500 in his stack, I was really trying to pick up the blinds.

fnord_too
06-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Sounds fine to me. You have to be aggressive with a short stack, especially since you have less than 4 BB and are about to blind your way down to not enough chips to pick up the blinds with a raise.

Also, you got called by a hand you are thrilled to get called by. Really, if it's me, im happy to get called by anything other than AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ here, since if I double up I'm in good position to at least make the money.

sdplayerb
06-19-2004, 08:34 PM
easiest pushin in the world

ZeeJustin
06-19-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, you got called by a hand you are thrilled to get called by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. You want him to fold Q8s there, and it's not close. He is getting sufficient pot-odds to make his call correct, and you of course want him to make the incorrect play.

ZeeJustin
06-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Maybe I overvalue position, but I would fold UTG and UTG+1 (assuming 10 handed). UTG+2 and I would most likely push. UTG+3 and I would definately shove.

sdplayerb
06-19-2004, 10:42 PM
You are completely wrong here. You have less than 4x the BB and are in the BB next hand. You can't expect to have a better hand in the next two, after which you'll be down to 500.
It is unlikely somebody will have a better hand than you. If you have a coinflip, so be it, you have no chips anyway.

jwvdcw
06-19-2004, 10:50 PM
If I think my competition is decent(meaning they won't call with crap like Q-8), then I definitely push there. If I know that there are several fish at my table, then its a little closer, although I probably still push.