PDA

View Full Version : Ciaffone

tyfromm
06-19-2004, 07:39 AM
How do you pronounce this name?

I assume it is four sylabbles as is the case with most Italian names (one vowel per sylabble). I don't know which sylabble to accent, and which vowel sounds to use.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Depending on whether he drops the last syllable, I'd say "cha-FONE" or cha-FONE-eh"

Eihli
06-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Wow, now that I think about it i guess my "key-a-phone" was way off.

tyfromm
06-20-2004, 07:41 AM
You may be right, but I don't think we have a definitive answer yet.

Some of you Las Vegas folks know him, certainly you can give us the correct answer. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Basic Italian pronunciation

Ciao = CHOW
Chianti = key-AHN-tee

Paul2432
06-20-2004, 12:49 PM
This post from RGP (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=f9290115.0203120724.e070b04%40post ing.google.com) should clear things up.

[ QUOTE ]
"S. Lyle \"Sly\" Raymond" <slyraymond@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91CDEB8252FEFslyraymondearthlinkn@207.217 .77.26>...
> I've asked this before and not gotten a response:
>
> What is the correct pronounciation for "Ciaffone?"

I sent Mr. Ciaffone e-mail and got this response (and permission to post):

--------
My grandfather came to the US from Italy as a child in the late 1800's.
Instead of using the correct cha fone' (rhymes with Capone) he simply used
the pronunciation of the NYC people, shuh FOE nee. I simply went by my
father's pronunciation, taken from my grandfather.
--------

I guess that's authoritative. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
--JMike

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul

tyfromm
06-20-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This post from RGP (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=f9290115.0203120724.e070b04%40post ing.google.com) should clear things up.

[ QUOTE ]
"S. Lyle \"Sly\" Raymond" <slyraymond@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91CDEB8252FEFslyraymondearthlinkn@207.217 .77.26>...
> I've asked this before and not gotten a response:
>
> What is the correct pronounciation for "Ciaffone?"

I sent Mr. Ciaffone e-mail and got this response (and permission to post):

--------
My grandfather came to the US from Italy as a child in the late 1800's.
Instead of using the correct cha fone' (rhymes with Capone) he simply used
the pronunciation of the NYC people, shuh FOE nee. I simply went by my
father's pronunciation, taken from my grandfather.
--------

I guess that's authoritative. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
--JMike

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now I can change my handle to Al Ciaffone Jr. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kurn, you were quite close (closer than me), well done!

Here are the other answers from the rgp thread:
ShaFonz
Shaf-own
Sha-phonie
She-a-phonie