PDA

View Full Version : Going on tilt ---- A new player learns a lesson

Warband
06-18-2004, 08:43 PM
An edited version of an essay I wrote to myself.

.25/.50 on stars with 7 bad players, one stupid player, one really bad player and one really-really bad player. Unfortunately I was the stupid player. The really bad player and the really-really bad player each had 30 nice American dollars in play. Actually it started at 30 and was getting lower and I was not getting MY share. I had a right to a large % of that cash.

So what did I do? Well I went on tilt for the first time ever. I actually thought I was immune to going on tilt, so why did it happen? What went on in my head?

What went on in my head was I am competing directly against the other players and I will crush them like the bugs they are and like the competive person I am. That does not work in poker and so I have changed my view of this game.

Poker is not like DBM.

What is DBM?
DBM is like chess with lots of dice (see note 1) and other random elements.
Two people sit down and play a game, there is one winner and it is easy to determine the winner.

Where is DBM like poker:
It looks like there is a lot of luck in the game, some players bitch all the time that they were unlucky. The first step to becoming a good DBM player is to never blame luck for loosing (1 game in 20 is OK). Regardless of luck you can always play better. Analyse your games and take the right lessons, this applies to poker also.

Tournament strategy says you can finish in the top 4 or you can take a chance on winning with a possibility that you will be a mid placed finisher. It is a hole that I don’t get the wins.

Where is DBM not like poker:
I know how good I am at DBM (same for chess) there is a GLICO rating system If I win a game I get points, if I beat somebody with a higher rating I get more points than if I beat somebody with a lower rating. Very quickly you know where you stand in relation to the other players. How many zillions of hands do I need to play before I can say 89s is a winning hand for me? This is very confusing for a beginning player. How do I know how good I am?

I hate when people type “nh” in online poker. I may have had a “nh” but did I play it well? After a game of chess you can analyse the game and discuss where you played good/bad with your opponent. Once in a B+M tounament I got "good play" from the table. Rarely happens in poker all you get in “nh” which translates you were lucky. Well I may have been lucky but I am the one trying to work out if it was played well or not.

Now my view of poker.
You are NOT competing with other players you are competing with yourself to be the best player you can be over time(adapting to the game conditions of course).

Note 1:
http://www.richardbodleyscott.btinternet.co.uk/dbm.htm
http://www.iworg.com/

nothumb
06-20-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are NOT competing with other players you are competing with yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

When I figure out a way to pay off my own flushes I will agree with you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Until then I am playing against all the other players.

I have also felt this same way when playing live (for some reason online I am able to step back and play much better, more relaxed poker) in B&M or unfamiliar home games. When I see horrible players come in and mediocre players pick them off, I want to be doing the same. Few things are as frustrating as watching a tourist double up in $2/4 when you have dwindled to $40 and are looking like the cranky drunk who can't play (this also means you need to bring more money and take the swings better BTW). But just knowing more about poker will not win you their chips. You have to hold a better hand 99% of the time.

The only thing that gets me upset is not finding good games. I know if I spend enough time in good games I am +EV. I get pissed when I wind up in lousy games and don't have the good sense to bounce.

NT