PDA

View Full Version : Party: Do you find low $ SnG's more profitable than low $ NL/PL?

AA suited
06-18-2004, 06:08 PM
i usually play $20 SnG and I find $25 NL/PL more profitable.

I guess in PL/NL, I'm not forced to commit my pot with marginal hands (AXo, KXo, low pocket pairs, 9Ts, TJs, JQs) because i'm about to be blinded to death.

22 vs AK -> 22 will win 52% of the time, thus a coin flip.

This is MY experience in SnG's:
If i don't get good cards, i'll be short stacked. When i have less than 3BB, i have to push with marginal hands else i get blinded to death. Someone calls and a VAST majority of time will also have a marginal. Then it becomes a coin flip.

If I win this coin flip then i usually have enuf chips to get me to the bubble. Once there, i start stealing blinds. sometimes the blinds fight back. now it's either fold or all-in coin flip time again. and if fold too many times to the reraise, then i'm back to 3BB, thus again coin flip time.

rinse/repeat if i make it down to the final 2.

Now don't get me wrong. There are times the opponent goes all in/calls my all in when I have AA or flopped a monster. But i find a majority of the time it's a coin flip at these low level SnGs.

Now with $25 NL/PL, i just sit there at 4 tables waiting for good cards. From my experience (1000+ hands so far), noone notices that I'm a rock. I have AA and bet pot preflop and 2-3 people usually call. I bet pot again on the flop and 1/2 the time someone calls. That person is usually paired up with top card on the board (which is fine to call) or is drawing (not correct to call). If that person is drawing and his card doesn't hit on the turn, he sometimes will call another pot bet to see the river card.

yes, sometimes he gets the flush and i lose all $25. But I'm averaging $5/hr here vs $2/hr in SnG. I'm not using Pokertracker. I just look at my account, see how much $ i started with, how much $ i end the session with, and how long i play. for Party SnG's, i estimate each to be 50 min long. of course if i lose that 1st coin flip, then it's alot less time so my $/hr in SnG maybe slightly higher.

If you make more $ in low limit SnG's than in low $ NL ring games=> HOW??? Am i doing something wrong in my SnG strategy?

ThePopinjay
06-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Well it seems your comparing playing 1 table of SNG to 4 tables of $25NL. Of course the NL will be more profitable. However, if you also multi-table your SNG's, you'll find there's not such a big discrepancy. Personally for me, the low level SNGs are pretty soft, so it's easy to make a pretty good earning off of them. I slowly becoming more partial to them than ring cash games. Plus, the swings are much easier to take, because on any given hand I can only lose $11.