PDA

View Full Version : PS SnGs

dfscott
06-18-2004, 03:45 PM
I've been playing ring games on PokerStars for a while and was thinking about dipping my foot into the tournament pool for a change of pace (this is my first post over here).

Most of what I've read pertains to Party Poker SnGs, and although I did find a post that discussed the differences, the question I had never really seemed to get answered in that thread. I'm planning on playing the $5+0.05 games until I get some experience and the levels seem to be much slower than the PP games (both in size of the blinds as well as their size relative to the stacks).

So, finally getting to my question: Several posts that I've read indicated that on PP, the spot where you switch from playing ultra-tight to a bit looser seems to be when it jumps to level 4. At that point, the BB is about 25% of your starting stack. If you take a look at PS, the blinds don't hit 25% of your starting stack until around level 7 or 8, which seems to be a bit late to loosen up. Is my thinking flawed here? If so, where should I be looking to switch gears in the PS game?

dfscott
06-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Ran some more searches and finally found the post under the FAQ section. Please ignore my original question and sorry for mucking up the forum.

Edit: except that my question wasn't answered there either! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I resubmit my original question...

Eder
06-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Well i try get to BB=100 with at least 1200 chips...then start to play. Of course if theres a few better players with decent stacks at this point it can be tough...often the big stacks are weak players waiting to give the chips back

Anyway play starts to tighten up at this level , so a few steals, couple good hands your in the thick of it.

gl

HUSKER'66
06-18-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing ring games on PokerStars for a while and was thinking about dipping my foot into the tournament pool for a change of pace (this is my first post over here).

Most of what I've read pertains to Party Poker SnGs, and although I did find a post that discussed the differences, the question I had never really seemed to get answered in that thread. I'm planning on playing the $5+0.05 games until I get some experience and the levels seem to be much slower than the PP games (both in size of the blinds as well as their size relative to the stacks).

So, finally getting to my question: Several posts that I've read indicated that on PP, the spot where you switch from playing ultra-tight to a bit looser seems to be when it jumps to level 4. At that point, the BB is about 25% of your starting stack. If you take a look at PS, the blinds don't hit 25% of your starting stack until around level 7 or 8, which seems to be a bit late to loosen up. Is my thinking flawed here? If so, where should I be looking to switch gears in the PS game?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true that the SnG's on Stars are a better format and less of a crapshoot than Party. (IMHO at least)

With a starting stack of 1500T and blinds escalating in 10 min increments you have about four to five rounds where you can be relatively selective in which starting hands to play.Hell you could fold every hand and be at 1200T by the time the levels reach 50/100. This is based on the fact that you will average around 1 hand a minute.

My experience has been when the levels are low, you will have several limpers hoping for a cheap flop. Raise with medium pockets and premium hands and you'll typically win the pot PF.

There is a lot of time to wait for premium hands, so be patient and play the best cards. Use position to your advantage and you should do fine.I've seen some players blind themselves to the final table rather than pushing hands that they shouldn't.

Husker

SparkMan
06-18-2004, 07:14 PM
The turbo $6+50c on PS has a lot of bad players even relative to the 5+.50 and the vig is lower. The blind increases work out similar too Party. Most of these tournaments come down too how well you play at the 50/100 blind level and above. The 15+1 turbos have way more loose action than the 10+1 if you can stand the pace. The swings will be bigger but the vig is very good.