PDA

View Full Version : raise for dead money, worth it?

pheasant tail (no 18)
06-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Yesterday I was playing in a live 6/12 game and had the button. Five limpers to me and I look down to find KQo. For better or worse, I think TYPICALLY in that situation that seeing the flop for one bet is usually best. The hand does not seem to have that much multiway value and it is easier to play post flop etc etc. Sometimes I raise, usually I do not. I have the button and a good but not great hand and I'm not going to limit the field (much)with a raise.

For the sake of my question, however, it matters not that I had KQo. You can substitute any hand here that qualifies as one that does not QUITE merit raising in my position with so many limpers.

In this situation the big blind is a prop whose play I know well and I know that he does not defend his blinds w/o a good hand. He also respects my raises as he knows my play well and I am usually the 2nd tightest player at any table we play together at (him being the first). Thus he folds 90% when I attack his blind. He is extremely solid, though only moderately aggressive and I don't mind being in pots w/ him bc. his betting tells me where he is 80% of the time.

So finally I arrive at the question: How much is it worth to shut the the big blind out of a multi-way pot when holding cards that prefer shorthanded pots? Factored in to this must be the fact that there might be one in the small blind that would be incorrect to call the initial bet but might surely call the raise also.

Or maybe this is the question: In such a large multi-way pot, is it much use to reduce the roster by one if it puts 1 sb of dead money in the pot?

I realize this post is not clear, but if anyone understands what I'm trying to get at and can offer insights I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
PT

MicroBob
06-18-2004, 06:04 PM
i am not entirely qualified to answer your question here.
but i would raise KW from the button here anyway.

since nobody has raised, there is a decent chance that if you hit your K or Q your hand will be best.

getting rid of the BB is another incentive.
if he cold-calls or re-raises then you can tread very carefully having already pegged him as a solid player.