PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Calling Raises from the Big Blind

11-20-2001, 11:31 AM
I'm looking for some guidelines on calling raises in multiway pots out of the big blind. This is an area where I believe not much has been written, and it is difficult to figure out which hands are profitable in these situations.

For example, let's take unsuited connectors like 76 or T9. Even though the chances of flopping a straight draw or a straight or 2 pair or better are about 13% (I think that's correct), a pair could very well be good in this situation. (i.e. a middle position limpers and then a late position raiser). Furthermore, versus 2 middle limpers and a late raiser, we are much more likely to be dominated with T9 than with 76 so we might even prefer to have the 76 in this situation. Plus, if we hit a straight draw with the T9 there will likely be a lot of action (which we don't like) since the board cards are likely to have hit our opponents. Not as much with the 76.

On the other hand, if the pot is contested perhaps only 3 way then I believe the high card strength is more important. I think we would prefer something like QJ over 98.

What does everyone think? What are your minimums for playing out of the big blind in multiway raised pots?

Thanks,

Puggy

11-20-2001, 08:18 PM
Good questions posed here.... I think a lot of your decision is based on what your opponents are likely to be raising with and how well they play after the flop, this is especially important when there are less opponents involved in the pot. For example if a tight person raises UTG and then a decent player calls I'm definitely mucking Q10o, K10o, J10o and worse, A9o lower, maybe I'll probably play suited connectors as low as 78s but that could be marginally incorrect. I'll also play any pair with two opponents but I'll fold 22 33 44 if it is heads up...

Shawn