PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a longshot

Songwind
06-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Like it says in my bio, I learned the rules of a couple of different poker games years ago. I only recently got bitten by the poker bug and started playing frequently, though.

I have found one big hole in my game, currently, which is that I get a viable hand (taken in isolation) and stop analyzing the board as it comes out and end up throwing money away to hands that seem obvious when I look back or read the hand history.

Has anyone got a suggestion for mnemonic or learning aid to help me remember to keep evaluating the board as it comes out so I can let these good-but-no-longer-viable hands go before losing all my cash?

I realize that part of getting good at this game is just playing (and, sadly, probably losing) but I'd like to keep the losing part to a minimum.

deacsoft
06-18-2004, 01:36 PM
As you say, this may be one thing you just need to go through. I am not aware of any books or instructional material that can tell you when you're beat in a pot while holding a good hand that you should muck. Over time you will know and it will become as obvious as when you look back at the hand histories.

gibs
06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
I did the same thing when I first started playing. I remember I would read books and they would tell you that you have to analyze the board and figure out what other hands could possibly be out there that could beat you. However, when I would play and get a good hand, I would totally forget this advice because I would be so fixated on my hand. It's just something you have to work through as a beginner. After you get more hours under your belt you will begin to analyze the board naturally with out even thinking about it. Just give it time.

Songwind
06-18-2004, 02:11 PM
What limits do you suggest playing during these "growing pains"?

TheRake
06-18-2004, 02:41 PM
I think Turbo Texas holdem has a board reading exercise program in it's software.

Can someone that has the software confirm this? I seem to remember it from when I downloaded the trial version many months ago.

TheRake

deacsoft
06-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Micro limits. .50/1.00 is a good place to learn. It doesn't make you a ton of money but it makes the cost of learning through mistakes that much cheaper. You could even play at lower limits than that, but the games tend to be a bit crazy and overly slow.

MicroBob
06-18-2004, 03:53 PM
you can play the .50/1 games at party-poker.

or you can play the even smaller games like .02/.04 at pokerstars or paradise.

make absoltuely CERTAIN that you are reading the board semi-decently and can beat these games before moving up to levels where you can actually make a bit of money.

also, hang out in the microlimit forum and read some of the discussions of the various hand-histories that are submitted there. if you really look at the threads there your game should start to improve almost immediately as you learn to 'think' like a winning poker-player.

maybe also hang out in the beginners forum a bit.

the other big advice i have......
you need to realize that it is sometimes okay to stay in a hand even if you THINK you are beat. it's the whole bit about pot-odds.
if the pot is $20, you have it heads-up, and it is only $1 to call on the river....then you should call a bet if you have virtually ANY piece of the board because the pot is laying you 20:1 odds.
thus, if he is bluffing or you are just better even once out of every 15 times in this situation then it is well worth calling.
this obviously isn't the same as making up silly excuses to call with nothing just because you liked your hand at the beginning...but it IS important to remember.

in other words, you are SUPPOSED to lose some of your hands....so don't beat yourself up over every hand you lose.

but the more important advice is to learn your way along at the micro-limits and really study the hand-histories in the micro-limits or small-stakes forums to learn from the experts how to approach your poker-game and what to look for in the board.

Warband
06-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi Strongwind,

There is no reason why you have to lose. You need to get experience playing hands so MicroBobs advice is spot on, play some hands at the micro-micro limits.

Also here is a partial post that I have copied and found that might help.

[ QUOTE ]

There are two session gimmicks which I think are good:

1. The Odds
Simply put: every time you call a bet, you must determine your pot odds, and the odds you have of improving your hand (i.e. two pair if you have a pair, a made hand if you have a draw, a pair if you have nothing...). If you're playing online, you have to say these things aloud. Every single time.

After you've mastered The Odds, you can proceed to:

2. The Why
Justify, out loud, every single action you are taking.

"I am folding preflop because this is a trash hand"
"I am raising preflop because I believe I have the best hand and I want to limit the field."
"I am raising preflop because this hand does very well multiway."
"I am folding the flop because I don't have the odds to chase."
"I am checking because I want to checkraise. I believe the flop bettor will bet again, and this will force the people between us to call 2 BB cold."
"I am calling the river because I think there's at least a one in twelve chance I'll win."

If you can't figure out why you did what you did, or if you think it was a stupid reason or you had no idea what to do or why, make a note and post the hand here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enon
06-18-2004, 10:56 PM
I've been playing limit holdem for only about 10 months and recently have discovered how valuable no limit holdem tourneys are helping develop hand reading ability, as well as making you think about each decision much more carefully. Each time I've taken a break from the limit 'grind' for the excitement of a NL tourney, I find myself making much better decisions at limit.

As you probably know, in limit holdem, decisions are made so fast that it can be difficult sometimes to stop yourself and think about each one. As you progress in your game, you'll run into similar snenarios time and time again and be able to quickly recall some of the best lines of play. Definitely just keep reviewing hand histories and if you keep making the same mistakes, you are bound to get frustrated enough to remember to not make the same dumb mistake again.

Songwind
06-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Warband,

Great suggestion. That was precisely what I was trying to say when I used "mnemonic". Thanks a lot.