PDA

View Full Version : I hate folding an overpair for 1 bet

Luke
06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Typical game. No read on the opponents in this hand.

I called the flop with the intention of raising the turn if a "safe card" came and it wasn't raised ahead of me.

How'd I do?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Luke is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Luke raises, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG folds, CO calls, Luke calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets, CO folds, Luke folds.

Final Pot: 6.66 BB

Joe Tall
06-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Well played.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Warik
06-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Easy fold. Nice job.

Luke
06-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah, you're right, the turn was an easy fold. That ridiculously scary 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif made my job easy.

I wonder if anyone raises the flop here (not that I think I should have)?

Luke

BottlesOf
06-18-2004, 10:30 AM
At first I thought, yeah raise the flop. However, I think calling as you did, and possibliy raising the turn is better, as your hand is very vulnerable. The turn makes your decision about as easy as can be.

fnord_too
06-18-2004, 10:34 AM
I think I raise the flop here and fold to a reraise. Raising the flop does three things:
1. It helps to find out where you are at in the hand. A tricky person would just call with a big hand, but that's ok because
2. It will likely get checked to you on the turn unless someone hits their draw, and even then it will probably be checked in hopes of a check raise (or fear that you hit a bigger draw).
3. It may, slight chance, take down the pot right there. The better may have hit something like top pair and wanted to see where he was at, and the caller may be on a weak hand as well.

I like firing a raise at the flop here. I don't think I fold an overpair for one small bet and calling is just inviting to be bet at again in a hand where you have no idea wher you are at.