PDA

View Full Version : suspicious

11-20-2001, 01:55 AM
Greetings,

Here are a few hands which either I gave great consideration to laying down on the turn/and or river. In fact in one or two I did. I noticed I have an exceptionally hard time laying down on the river but maybe this is bc I almost exclusively played 7card stud last year.

All of these are from 10/20 games. ALl comments on other parts of play are also welcome.

1) 6 handed game. I raise UTG w/ 77. All call! (this is unusual for this game though I can't be too upset w/6 way action).

The flop comes a convienent T 7 4 w/two spades. all check to me I bet 3 call.

Turn is a 6. CHeck I bet 2 call.

River is a 5. Check I check, next player bets and the next calls. It took me forever but I finally folded.

2)3 or 4 limpers I limp in SB w/77 BB checks.

FLop comes

7 5 4 w/ two hearts.

I bet BB bets all fold to the button who calls, I make it 3 and BB and button call.

Turn is Th. I bet call call.

The river 8h. I check BB bets button folds and I fold. I should the button is incredibly loose and would call on the river w/almost any heart, so if the BB is bluffing he has to get passed the button who will call w/almost anything. Had this been heads up on the river I might have given more thought to calling but here considering openended on the flop got there aand not too many are going to call the turn w/a big heart or a 6 I thought to fold.

3) I limp behind 2 or 3 limpers w/ 44 button raises blind fold and 5 see a flop of 5 7 J rainbow.

It gets checked around!

The turn is 4. First to act bets and the next call, I raise only the initial bettor and caller call.

The river is an 8. Check bet. The bettor was staring at me and a few people (the button and SB) starting laughing out loud. With slightly clouded judgement I called....

4)AA UTG, I raise and get about 4 callers and the BB comes... well Id prefer less people...

The flop comes J98 w/ a two flush. (I don't have the A of the suit).

I bet and 3 call.

THe turn is a 9. BB bets. I just call as does 1 or two others. (Should I give consideration to raising here? It felt It was likely i woudlnt' lose any flush or st draws, and a 9 may raise it again).

River is J. BB checks I check next bets BB calls. I decide to call.... I think this is bad as one of these two have at least a 9 more likely a J. (THe BB acted particulary disgusted when then J came and even more so when the bettor bet on the river).

5) 7 handed game. I reraise a raiser w/ TT, next player caps. I ask myself if i chose to pick the wrong time to 3 bet w/ T's? Only 3 see the flop of.

8 6 4.

1st checks, I bet next raises and first player folds. I just call. Would anyone check this flop? or would you prefer to bet and then reraise? It seemed to me he had an over pair but the first player wasn't good and if he had any draw I would like him to leave and the preflop capped would pbly assist me in doing this by raising and he did.

The turn is another 8. I check and called.

The river was a Q.

I again check and called. I thought this hand is much different than the others as the pot was too big to get away from, and no real draw got there, and there is a decent chance I was good.

ALl commments appreciated.

Ill post the results later....

11-20-2001, 04:11 AM
Just noticed I reversed the title and my name...

11-20-2001, 02:19 PM
I don't know that you want to be raising preflop with 77 UTG, even in a shorthanded game. This is a difficult hand to play heads up and out of position, as anyone who calls the raise pretty much has to have two overcards to your pair and you won't know when they hit their overcard until you get raised. This is a situation where being out of position can often cost you a full bet or more. Anyway, it worked out fine this time. /images/wink.gif

I would try a check raise on the flop. No one can put you on even a pair for certain yet, so it shouldn't be too unlikely that 1 of the 3 players behind you will bet it for you if you check.

After betting the flop, I might try a check raise on the turn. Especially if you would play a big ace the same way you have played your set so far, it should be pretty likely that someone behind you will bet a pair if it checks to them. But betting certainly isn't a bad play, and might be better than a check raise anyway, depending on how aggressive the players behind you are.

With 13 bets in the pot on the river, I would be tempted to make a crying call. If 6 callers for your UTG raise is unusual, it doesn't seem like anyone but the blinds should still be in there with 8's or 3's. The one blind left check called, which seems to eliminate him as a big threat, so I would call for the chance the bettor was on a bluff or a thin value bet. There is no way anyone can know how strong you are since you were never challenged during the hand; the other two players can easily think you have only an overpair when they bet and call.

11-20-2001, 02:34 PM
I like your play up to the river. Calling on the river depends mostly on how tough or aggressive the BB is. A very loose player on the button might stop the BB from bluffing, but only if he would bother to think about that. Without any player knowledge, this is a very tough decision to make.

I might bet the river in your shoes, just to avoid being put in this spot. Notice that if you bet, you use the very loose player on the button to your advantage, because with this player yet to act behind him, the BB should be less inclined to raise without a real hand. Maybe he'll even throw away a 6.

11-20-2001, 02:46 PM
Everything is pretty easy until the river. The river bettor is either an excellent bluffer or he made a straight. With no bet on the flop and him only calling on the turn, the river bettor should be less likely to have a pair than normal, leaving him more likely to have called the turn with a straight draw. With the other players laughing, this might be a good time to fold quickly and make a wisecrack. /images/tongue.gif

11-20-2001, 03:01 PM
Pretty straightforward until the turn. The BB should have a hand to bet into 3 players on the turn, although I think it's strange he didn't go for a check raise. With 2 players to act behind me, and about 20 scare cards in the deck, I would be tempted to either fold or raise here, leaning towards fold. The raise may not get anyone out, but it should allow you to get away from your hand for any further action while charging draws the max.

On the river, I definitely don't overcall. Since the BB calls, that pretty much eliminates the chance he was betting a big draw on the turn, leaving him only with hands that beat you.

11-20-2001, 03:09 PM
Unless the preflop capper is quite aggressive, he is almost always going to have a bigger pair than you. I'm probably going to fold after he bets the turn unless he is prone to overplaying an AK like this.

11-20-2001, 06:22 PM
1) Initial bettor shows 73s for a straight. BB coudln't even tie w/him!

3) River bettor shows 65s for a straight.

4) River bettor shows a J4s fora full house.

5) Bettor says ," I missed" and shows J5s !

11-20-2001, 09:49 PM
Here's my take on all 5 hands - brief comments included.

1. Limp before the flop - you're not gonna get it heads up; invest the minimum & see if you hit yer set. Check raise the flop, bet the turn, and make a crying call on the river.

2. Fold the river - a str8 + a flush = bad news for a set

3. I would make a crying call, though a fold can't be too bad either. I probably call too much here, but it's probably not a huge choice either way - I always err on the side where I might get the pot - in California strange things often happen!

4. Raise the turn, fold the river when the J comes, call anything else.

5. Bet & reraise the flop and see if he slows down. If he does, continue betting. If he doesn't, check and call him down.