PDA

View Full Version : my best decision?

11-20-2001, 12:06 AM
When I sat down, the 15-30 game was pretty soft. 8 handed with a couple of poor playing spots. The game filled up and was great. it filled with weak players. I bounced between +-400. One of the weak players was hitting everything and had a pretty big stack.

One by one, the weaker players dropped out. Finally the rushing player racked up his three plus racks and quit. There was still one weak player left, so I stayed on. His spot was taken by a tough pro. Now I counted it. three pros, two tough props, two tough amateurs, the one weak spot (who had a small stack) and me. I racked up my $180 profit and left in the middle of the time period.

I think I'm getting the hang of this now.

11-20-2001, 12:49 AM
Well, if you don't have anything better to do (and I for one don't /images/wink.gif), it seems to me that you should still finish out the time period. If you feel the need to, play much tighter than usual. But even in a tough game, I think you can show enough profit to play out what you've "paid for".

11-20-2001, 02:56 AM
I think you made a good call assuming you aren't playing the game for fun. Why mentally strain yourself, and pay rake pushing back chips with tough players?

GL

Shawn

11-20-2001, 03:29 AM
If you could/would have made the same decision if you were stuck $180, I would agree: you are getting the hang of this.

11-20-2001, 05:08 AM
I also have a rule that I've implemented. Since I only play recreationally, I play for four hours and then quit. Up or down. you can debate the EV of this decision, but I've decided that I can allocate four hours each time I play to poker. after that, other things (golf, my wife, fishing, school, work, etc) become more important to me. It also ensures that I play while reasonably alert.

So far, I've quit while up big, up small and rushing as well as down big, small and falling.

I've also found that, with this limitation, I don't have any time to allocate to tilt.