PDA

View Full Version : New, to SNG'S. The value of showing cards, or not....?

Granite
06-18-2004, 06:01 AM
G'Day,
Longtime lurker, first time poster.
I have been playing $10 SNG at Party for a few weeks now and have been doing ok. I have played over 50, and have been keeping track of how I'm going (Thanks Aelo for your spreadsheet), and I am in profit, although nothing fantastic.
Anyhow, I can't seem to work out how to show my cards, if I'm folded to (crappy party interface). I know it's probably a dumb question.
The second part of my question is the one I'm more curious about. What is the value of showing your cards, and how many people do it and in what situation?
My current thinking is that I really don't want to show my cards 99.9% of the time. People gotta pay to see my cards The one time I wanted to was when I got four of a kind Aces.
Thanks for any info,
Granite

obex
06-18-2004, 08:27 AM
This has been discussed ad nauseum I'm sure. Showing your cards will only give your opponents information. When someone shows me their hand, now I know that they're capable of playing that hand in that particular way, be it a bluff, semi-bluff, slow-play, etc. I don't assume that they will always play the same way in that same situation but it helps to know what types of play your opponent is capable of. I think the argument that showing your cards will somehow fool your opponents into misreading your future plays is pretty weak. Best that they just never know what you have, and will have to pay to see your cards. Sometimes players make a crying call just because they NEED to know what you have.
The biggest argument I have against people who selectively show their cards however is how annoying it is to wait 10 seconds at the end of every hand while they decide whether or not to show. Especially at the end of a tournament when their involved in most of the hands. It just slows down the game. Do everyone, including yourself, a favor and check the "Don't show" box.