PDA

View Full Version : Checkraising for Value: Flop or Turn?

Mike Mussina
06-18-2004, 03:38 AM
I have a question about checkraising for value.

When heads-up and you have a big hand (like a set with ragged board), it's been documented that it's usually better to checkraise on the flop.

But when it is multiway, and the probable bettor is close to you on your left, is it better to checkraise on the flop or wait for the turn to get the big bets?

I used to think you should go for checkraise on turn because you can trap your opponents for large bets. But now it seems like the flop is better, because there are alot of players who call on the flop but fold on the turn. And if you build the pot early, the players may be more inclined to call you down.

So in general, what do you think is the better round to checkraise for value?

rayrns
06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
On a ragged board (as your first example), I think I'd wait till the turn to raise. You only need half the number of callers, on the turn, to put as much money in the pot as on the flop. Your raise then may also give them incorrect odds to continue on any draws.

If there were any str8 or flush draws, I think you should bet out and hope the pre-flop better raises you so you can 3 bet.

bernie
06-18-2004, 09:25 AM
You can c/r a draw for value, too.

It depends on your goal you're trying to accomplish with a c/r. Is it for protection or value betting made/unmade hands?

b

b

TheSheath
06-18-2004, 11:43 AM
u should wait till the turn and hope someone makes a pair on it or something so then u can check raise and they will stay with it or u really shouldn't check raise at all and lead into the guy.