PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell as Bill Clinton

andyfox
06-17-2004, 10:07 PM
I heard Colin Powell on the Michael Medved radio show today. First the said that neither he, the president, nor anybody else in the administration had said that Saddam Hussein or his regime had had anything to do with 9/11. Then he said that what they had said, and what the 9/11 commission confirmed, was that there were indeed "connections" between Al Qaeda and the Hussein regime. Then, in the next sentence, he changed "connections" to "contacts," because there is doubt whether the attempted contact from Al Qaeda was responded to by the Hussein regime.

It was a tortured explanation worthy of Bill Clinton. The big difference, of course, is that Clinton's lies were mostly about extra-marital affairs.

HDPM
06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Powell has always made me uneasy. He seems to know better and seems to understand honor, etc.... But when you look closely or he is under pressure, you wonder of there is really any there, there.

Wake up CALL
06-18-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he changed "connections" to "contacts

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is a conspiracy? Poor desperate liberal bashing a true American if you ask me.

paland
06-18-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poor desperate liberal bashing a true American if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And since you are not a liberal, you are a "true" American I presume. Most people who cling to some delusion of rightousness like to claim that they are "true" Americans. They try to limit any expression put out by those with any logic or sensability by calling names such as 'liberal". They like to claim that theirs is the only 'true' path to freedom when, in fact, they are clueless about real freedoms of thought and expression.

Did you ever notice that liberal means "freethinking, Open-minded, broadminded or tolerant?" Did you notice that freedom means those things too? And that the Antonyms of those words are "small-minded, prejudiced, bigoted or insular?"

Let's hope that "true" American is not synonomous with bigotry and predudice, as it has been in most of it's history.

SossMan
06-18-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And since you are not a liberal, you are a "true" American I presume. Most people who cling to some delusion of rightousness like to claim that they are "true" Americans. They try to limit any expression put out by those with any logic or sensability by calling names such as 'liberal". They like to claim that theirs is the only 'true' path to freedom when, in fact, they are clueless about real freedoms of thought and expression.

Did you ever notice that liberal means "freethinking, Open-minded, broadminded or tolerant?" Did you notice that freedom means those things too? And that the Antonyms of those words are "small-minded, prejudiced, bigoted or insular?"

Let's hope that "true" American is not synonomous with bigotry and predudice, as it has been in most of it's history

[/ QUOTE ]

great post

Wake up CALL
06-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Perhaps you have a reading comprehension disorder. I believe I wrote that Colin Powell is a true American, not that Andy is not just that Andy was showing his illogical Liberal logic in public. I never implied whether or not I am a true American.

Better luck on the SAT.

adios
06-18-2004, 05:44 PM

andyfox
06-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I didn't posit any conspiracy. I do say he's lying. He specifically made the distinction between "connections" and "contacts." He was dissembling at best. He himself said there might be some questions about the "connections" because the attempted "contacts" may not have been responded to by the Iraqi regime.

I'm not desperate, Bush is going to lose the vote in my state without any help from me. I don't know if Powell is any more true an American than anyone else. I know he bashed Ronald Reagan in his biography and I know he's in favor of affirmative action, so there are two things I know I like about him. He's the Secretary of State so he has to toe the party line. The party line, in this case, is secretive and deceptive, if not outright falsehood.

paland
06-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Do you mean Germane? Meaning relevant?

Wake up CALL
06-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Since you pulled out your Funk and Wagnels how about this?

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever notice that liberal means "freethinking, Open-minded, broadminded or tolerant?" Did you notice that freedom means those things too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freedom does not mean any of the things you wrote about the word liberal. As a matter of fact using the word liberal in a political context doesn't meet the criteria of any of your definitions either.

paland
06-18-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a matter of fact using the word liberal in a political context doesn't meet the criteria of any of your definitions either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they do. Just not according to your beliefs. Hey, I'll bet that I don't agree with your definitions of a political term just like you don't agree with mine. So this conversation is pointless.

Chris Alger
06-19-2004, 01:10 AM
Evidenced accusations of waffling amount to accusations of "conspiracy" and "liberal bashing" of "true Americans?"

Then "true Americans" tolerate waffling and hate criticism of it, but not when liberals do it.

Pretty easy to reduce this to "the only true Americans are the hypocritical right-wing clowns that everyone with a two-digit IQ sneers at."

WTF
06-19-2004, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever notice that liberal means "freethinking, Open-minded, broadminded, or tolerant?"

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the meaning of the word "liberal," but that isn't the definition for describing "a liberal."

-WTF