PDA

View Full Version : Who would throw this away?

Swiss Cheese
06-17-2004, 07:17 PM
10-20 short handed pokerstars, the players are realativly unknown to me but I have a excellent image at the table, only having to show big winners with my raises and bets. I am in BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif folded to sb who completes I just check along. I am not a fan of raising here with my image because if these player catch any of it you can not move them anyway, especially head up.

Flop is A-Q-5, he bets I just call. I dont raise here because many of these players will bluff many chips off with nothing, but will fold to a raise on the flop.

Turn is 8 suits are unimportant. he checks I bet he raises I 3 bet and he caps. does anyone fold on river if you do not fill up?

I understand that it is only 1 more bet and you have to call the turn bet also. I know 98% of the time here I am beat, do you still call.

If game was full or if I had played against player previously I may not have called, but i did and I lost to a set of fives. That is not important what is important is those last 2 bets.

Thanks in advance!!

Swiss Cheese

Riverman
06-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Online, I am seeing a showdown. I do not think that you are beat 49/50 times as you do. You will win enough to warrant a river call against unknown opponents, given the pot odds.

mike l.
06-17-2004, 07:31 PM
"I am not a fan of raising here with my image because if these player catch any of it you can not move them anyway, especially head up."

the thinking here is flawed. you raise here because you are likely to have a hand that's a nice favorite with position and it's profitable to punish them for limping in the sb against you, especially when you hold a nice hand that can win a showdown unimproved and be played well postflop pretty easily.

Swiss Cheese
06-17-2004, 07:41 PM
short handed 4 bets on turn, and player out of position, I am pretty confident with a reasonable playing player who takes the other player into consideration I feel like 49/50 is not unreasonable.

Swiss Cheese

Nightwish
06-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Pokerstars..... That's your first mistake.

Raise preflop. This is not close.

After that, you played it fine and I would call it down to the river every single time. You will be punished by the poker gods for even thinking about folding 2 pair heads up on a board like this.

But then again, this is Pokerstars, so your opponent has AA. Which brings me back to my first point....

Nate tha' Great
06-17-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
short handed 4 bets on turn, and player out of position, I am pretty confident with a reasonable playing player who takes the other player into consideration I feel like 49/50 is not unreasonable.

Swiss Cheese

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a shitton of online shorthanded and a fold would be terrible here without a very canny read on your opponent. I think you'll win here something like 15 times out of 50, maybe more; your opponent will have a worse two pair pretty often.

Also, raise this preflop. You're getting immediate value and it makes you less likely to make an incorrect fold on the flop or turn.

steveyz
06-17-2004, 09:03 PM
The flop smooth call is fine. In fact the correct play IMO. I would probably just call the turn c/r unless I know SB to overplay just top pair.