PDA

View Full Version : several hands from Stars 200+15 (medium)

Che
06-17-2004, 04:49 PM
This is not meant to be a tourney report, just a bunch of hands I would like feedback on. Feel free to flame or criticize anything you see...

Hand 10: 10/20. UTG+1 (3140) minraises. SB (2400) calls. I call from the BB with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif and 2460.
Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check, check, minraiser bets 200 into pot of 120, SB folds, I raise to 500, call.
Turn: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check, he bets 500 into pot of 1220. I fold.
Too early to get tricky with second pair? Too small a raise?

Hand 51: 25/50. 2 folds, I have 2220 and black AA - I limp, 3 more limp, button folds, blinds come along.
RATS! I've folded four of the six times I limped to big raises and no one raises when I have AA. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB bets 100 into pot of 300. BB calls. I call. 3 folds.
Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check, check, I bet 350 into pot of 600, SB calls, BB folds.
River. 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB pushes. ~1700 for me to call (allin) for a pot of 3000. I fold.

Hand 63: 50/100. Folded to SB (3120) who completes. I check 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif (1770).
Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check. I bet 100. He calls.
Turn: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. Check. I bet 100. He calls.
River: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He bets 300. I call. He has K3o. Was this a bad call?

Hand 90: 100/200. 4 limpers and SB completes. Two of the limpers have more than double my stack.
I have AKo in the BB and push my remaining 2665.
Button (one of the big stacks) calls with 88. Others fold. I river a K.

Hand 99: 100/200. 6 limpers! I complete the SB with J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (6530). BB checks.
Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check, 3 more checks, minbet (3300), fold, call (5300 - guy from hand 90), fold.
I check-raise to 800. Both fold. I collect 2200.
Should I have slow-played this (called)? Bet bigger to make it look like a bluff?

Next Hand (100): 100/200. CO limps (1920). I call with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (8330). SB folds. BB checks (6610 after posting).
Flop: 33A rainbow. BB checks. CO minbets. I call. BB calls.
Turn: 2 (second /images/graemlins/club.gif). BB bets 600 into pot of 1300. CO folds. I call.
River: 6 (non- /images/graemlins/club.gif). BB bets 2000 into 2500 pot. I fold.
I'm very unhappy with myself here. How would you have played it differently?

Hand 109: 100/200/a25. I open for 3xBB (600) from the button with A8o (7305). SB folds. Same BB as hand 100 calls (8910).
Flop: 664 rainbow. He checks. I bet 1200 into 1425 pot. He calls.
Turn: A which completes rainbow. Check check.
River: 5. He bets 2800. I call. He has KT (i.e. nothing) and I win 9525.

Hand 118: 100/200/a25. 4 folds. Guy I doubled up on with AK v 88 limps (5045). Fold.
I make it 800 with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (12330). Folded around, he calls.
Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Check check.
Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He bets 400 into pot of 2025. I call.
River: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Check check. My second pair beats his third pair (A /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif).

Hand 147: 300/600/a50. Folded to tough aggressive SB who was recently moved to the table (read based on prior tourney) who makes it 2400.
He had 17785 before posting. I had 15900. I call the extra 1800 with K8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Flop: AAT rainbow. He bets 2400 into pot of ~5300. I minraise. He calls.
Turn and river are T's and we check it down.
At first I'm disappointed in the rivered boat, thinking my K was probably the best 2-pair kicker, but then my opponent shows JJ and I see that I lucked out BIG time.
I think this was probably a good time for a minraise since he probably would have folded smaller pairs and K's better than mine, but I could still have gotten away cheap if he really had an A.
Thoughts?

Hand 175: 400/800/a50. Moved to this table less than a full orbit ago.
3 folds. I open for 2400 with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (18075). Fold. CO (22320 - tough player based on prior read) calls. Others fold.
Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet 4800 into pot of ~6100. He calls.
Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Check check.
River: 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check. He bets 8800 into pot of ~15700. I think and think and think and finally convince myself he's bluffing with AQ or the like and call.
He shows 88 (spiked set on turn). I muck so the other players don't find out that I'm a complete moron (you guys already knew that so I don't mind posting the hand).
How bad is the river call? Shoot me straight here... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Miraculously, despite having less than 3xBB, I steal the blinds 3 times during the next orbit and a half and then when someone finally calls me I double with AK against A3. I steal the blinds one more time and then this...

Hand 196: 600/1200/a75. Folded to me in the SB (12700). I open for 3600 with A8o. BB (~25000) puts me in.
I've stolen about twice a round now since moving to this table, but I've only shown real hands so I decide to fold.
Thoughts?

Hand 201: 1000/2000/a100. I have 8700 and push from UTG+1 with 55. I take the blinds.

Next Hand (202): 1000/2000/a100. I have AJo and 12400 UTG. I push.
Why? I figure opponents will need AK or a BIG pair to call me since no one steals allin from EP twice in a row. I must have a real hand, right?
Unfortunately, UTG+1 (reraiser from 196) has ~27000 and AK so he calls. Others fold.
No miracle. I'm out about 30 spots from the $.

Should I have cooled my jets after getting away with the first steal even knowing the blinds were about to take me back to less than 5xBB?

Thoughts on anything you see appreciated...

Che

Grivan
06-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I don't have much time, so for now I only looked at the first hand. I really really don't like it.
The pre-flop call is fine, the flop raise is horrible. Your opponent overbet the pot you ahve to assume he hit the jack at this point, assuming this is a lot cheaper then assuming he doesn't have you beat. If you had a club draw here I would like the raise a lot better, but sicne you don't you need to fold this on the flop. You didn't ahve anything.

DOTTT
06-17-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next Hand (100): 100/200. CO limps (1920). I call with 9 9 (8330). SB folds. BB checks (6610 after posting).
Flop: 33A rainbow. BB checks. CO minbets. I call. BB calls.
Turn: 2 (second ). BB bets 600 into pot of 1300. CO folds. I call.
River: 6 (non- ). BB bets 2000 into 2500 pot. I fold.
I'm very unhappy with myself here. How would you have played it differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check raise the flop, if he calls hope to check it down, fold to a bet on the turn and river.

[ QUOTE ]
and 175: 400/800/a50. Moved to this table less than a full orbit ago.
3 folds. I open for 2400 with A 3 (18075). Fold. CO (22320 - tough player based on prior read) calls. Others fold.
Flop: 5 2 9 . I bet 4800 into pot of ~6100. He calls.
Turn: 8 . Check check.
River: 3 . I check. He bets 8800 into pot of ~15700. I think and think and think and finally convince myself he's bluffing with AQ or the like and call.
He shows 88 (spiked set on turn). I muck so the other players don't find out that I'm a complete moron (you guys already knew that so I don't mind posting the hand).
How bad is the river call? Shoot me straight here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm I'd love to shoot you, but I think you've learned your lesson. Once he called your flop bet you should've been ready to throw it away on the turn.

DougBrennan
06-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Hand 10: 10/20. UTG+1 (3140) minraises. SB (2400) calls. I call from the BB with 5 3 and 2460.
Flop: 5 4 J . Check, check, minraiser bets 200 into pot of 120, SB folds, I raise to 500, call.
Turn: A . I check, he bets 500 into pot of 1220. I fold.
Too early to get tricky with second pair? Too small a raise?

I'm not in love with this play. Pre-flop, well, OK if you want to play it, but yeah, 500 strikes me as a bit much with what you've got, particularly considering the difficulty of buying pots during this phase of the rebuy.

Edit: After posting this reply I noticed this was the 200+15 not the rebuy. Obviously, my above comments are thus rendered completely void.

But I still don't like the play.

I don't think I embarressed myself anywhere else. (At least not because I mis-read which tourney it was.)

End edit.

Hand 51: 25/50. 2 folds, I have 2220 and black AA - I limp, 3 more limp, button folds, blinds come along.
RATS! I've folded four of the six times I limped to big raises and no one raises when I have AA.
Flop: 6 4 2 . SB bets 100 into pot of 300. BB calls. I call. 3 folds.
Turn: 8 . Check, check, I bet 350 into pot of 600, SB calls, BB folds.
River. 6 . SB pushes. ~1700 for me to call (allin) for a pot of 3000. I fold.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I could say more, but I'm sure you've already castigated yourself enough.

Hand 63: 50/100. Folded to SB (3120) who completes. I check 6 J (1770).
Flop: K K J . Check. I bet 100. He calls.
Turn: Q . Check. I bet 100. He calls.
River: 7 . He bets 300. I call. He has K3o. Was this a bad call?

I've been looking at this hand for a couple of minutes, and something just struck me. This out-of-position pattern of check-call, check-call, bet out on the river could maybe be a very indicative tell of flopping trips. It's exactly how I'd play it, have done so many times, as I am sure all of us have. I got trips, so I'll let you bet it twice, but I don't want to take the chance of your checking the river, so I make a come-on-along bet there.

I don't mean this as criticism in any way, but I am wondering if this pattern is perhaps a sure sign that your opponent has the trips, or some other very nice flop gift? Have to add this to my checklist.

Hand 99: 100/200. 6 limpers! I complete the SB with J 6 (6530). BB checks.
Flop: 6 6 A . I check, 3 more checks, minbet (3300), fold, call (5300 - guy from hand 90), fold.
I check-raise to 800. Both fold. I collect 2200.
Should I have slow-played this (called)? Bet bigger to make it look like a bluff?

Well this is almost identical to the above situation, with one exception. Your trips can be beat if another A hits, and then you've got real trouble playing this hand. So I think it was wise to raise when you did and take it down now. Yeah, you might have strung it out more, but you might also price an Ax into taking down a nice pot.

...I'm going to skip ahead here, as I probably should do SOME work this afternoon...

Hand 175: 400/800/a50. Moved to this table less than a full orbit ago.
3 folds. I open for 2400 with A 3 (18075). Fold. CO (22320 - tough player based on prior read) calls. Others fold.
Flop: 5 2 9 . I bet 4800 into pot of ~6100. He calls.
Turn: 8 . Check check.
River: 3 . I check. He bets 8800 into pot of ~15700. . I think and think and think and finally convince myself he's bluffing with AQ or the like and call.

How bad is the river call? Shoot me straight here...

[ QUOTE ]
I think and think and think and finally convince myself he's bluffing with AQ or the like and call

[/ QUOTE ]

Che, I cannot tell you how many times I've done precisely the same. Last night I crippled myself by deciding that AJs was just the thing to call a re-raise with. I'm not celebrating anyone else's misplays, but it is nice to know that I am not the only one to make what I call "WTF was THAT?" plays.

I have no problem with the steal attempt, nor with the post-flop bullet, but after that it's just chasing dead money, and if I can figure out how to stop chasing my own, my ROI should shoot up.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but it certainly helps me to think about hands and post those thoughts. Any alternate ideas, thoughts flames welcomed from any direction.

Doug

curmudgeon
06-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Just about everytime you question your play, you are correct to do so!
You're play stinks and you know where...
Pain is a great teacher....
so learn for yourself.... you'll be a much better player if you can answer your own questions. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think the one exception is for the last hand (202)... go for it!

Why no raise with 99 pre-flop?
CO with 1900 calls, I raise to 1000 to push out the blinds and force CO to play for all his chips or fold.

GL

Che
06-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Grivan-

[ QUOTE ]
I really really don't like it.
The pre-flop call is fine, the flop raise is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's shooting me straight! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish you would reply to all my hand posts since the blunt criticism is very helpful (and this is not sarcasm - I'm serious).

The overbet=J point is something I'll definitely consider the next time I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks for the reply,
Che

Che
06-19-2004, 02:18 AM
curmudgeon-

[ QUOTE ]
You're play stinks and you know where...

[/ QUOTE ]

The second part represents a big step forward in my game. I must be improving! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
learn for yourself.... you'll be a much better player if you can answer your own questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's so much easier letting some one else learn and then download the knowledge into my brain! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why no raise with 99 pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in wimp mode, I guess.

When I think about it, it's kind of encouraging that I made this many mistakes in ~200 hands yet I would STILL have made the money if I had lucked out with AJ against AK. Maybe next time... (Sounds like the words of an addict, actually. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

Thanks for the reply,
Che

Hotrod0823
06-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Some thoughts:

Hand #10: I fold it PF even to a minraise nothing but trouble unless the Flop smacks you hard.

Hand #51: I don't like the limp but understand you were going for the limp Reraise. I think I you have to raise at least to the pot on that flop. By calling you are letting flushes see the turn too cheaply it think. Then I would bet pot again on the turn. Why underbet this pot? Confused by your betting here.

Hand 100: With 99 I would raise here to push out the weak aces. By just calling I think you have to think that an ace is out against you and would rather raise the min flop bet to see if he has a real hand or just fold it before committing any more chips to the pot.

147: I fold K8s PF to a 3xBB raise.

175: Like the steal raise and even the shot at the pot on the flop but don't think I can call down with 1/2 my stack with bottom pair.

190: Took a shot but made a good fold IMO.

Tough break with the AJx but not terrible given your chips.