PDA

View Full Version : Negraneau's hand gestures

Peter_rus
06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I am becoming increasingly annoyed with Daniel Negraneau's hand gestures now that we've seen him twice this season. Yes, I know he's calculating pot odds and replaying the hand, but just what does the hand gesturing add? Surely he's bright enough to do it all in his head without pen and paper. His gesturing is like counting to ten using your fingers and toes.

toots
06-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh, heck, I didn't even notice the gesticulating.

I'm just becoming increasingly annoyed with Negreanu on his own merits.

Michael Davis
06-17-2004, 06:19 PM
It's a shame people like Negreanu can play poker so well.

-Michael

shadow29
06-17-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't understand.

Sundevils21
06-17-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, why is it a shame? He trys to promote poker in a very good way. Very very good for the game if you ask me.

Michael Davis
06-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Read his petulant takes on Annie Duke. A class individual just doesn't publish stuff like that.

-Michael

For the record, I do not claim to be a class individual.

Sundevils21
06-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I have read those articles and agree those were tasteless. He should have kept those feelings to himself and not published them for the entire world to read.
Still, do you think he presents himself in a bad manner at the table, one that would not be good for poker?

Army Eye
06-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Outstanding player, and that's what matters, but man he is just totally obnoxious and irritating whenever he's on TV.

Vehn
06-17-2004, 09:59 PM
I think Negreanu and Varkonyi have an ongoing battle over who is the most effiminate straight man in poker.

toots
06-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Yeah, well I like girly-men. I think looks-wise, Negreanu is hot.

His personality just annoys me.

shadow29
06-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Where are those articles on Annie published?

blackaces13
06-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Yeah, where are those Anne Duke articles? I don't like her much and I'd like to read them too.

wm r the rake
06-18-2004, 12:03 AM
rgp

B Dids
06-18-2004, 02:08 AM
They're not articles as much as posts on usenet (IIRC). To me, that's a BIG difference.

jumpthru
06-18-2004, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Negreanu and Varkonyi have an ongoing battle over who is the most effiminate straight man in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the funniest damn thing I have ever read. I swear Negreanu is gay. And he is so annoying. So annoying. Its unbelievable.

Like when that person in the audience yelled something out and he gave a look like "Why am I in the same room as someone not of my class, kick her out of here, etc"

I do enjoy his articles though. They really show his arogance (along with his "cant buy a car with that money" comment). In one of them (I think its the biggest pot ever lost one), he said he dropped $10,000 packet out of his pocket...not sure I believe that but maybe.

blackaces13
06-18-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do enjoy his articles though. They really show his arogance

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, I've read a lot of his articles on fullcontact poker and he seems much more down to earth than a guy like Hellmuth for instance. I don't think he comes off as arrogant all, quite the oposite actually.

toots
06-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Oh, c'mon. That's like using Satan as a metric by which people are measured for being sinners.

Just because the guy's more down to earth than Hellmuth doesn't mean there isn't any room left for arrogance. There's plenty of room left, and Negreanu occupies some of that space.

theBruiser500
06-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Based off of his website, and the forum he used to post on frequnetly and everything he said... even if he is annoying he is well meaning and nice. He answered everyone's questions to him, just to help aspiring poker players.

jumpthru
06-19-2004, 02:43 PM
You mean the forum he used to post on until he decided he was too important/famous to waste his time with it?

And seriously, does he HAVE to be such a flamer? And yet pretend to be straight??

[ QUOTE ]
Based off of his website, and the forum he used to post on frequnetly and everything he said... even if he is annoying he is well meaning and nice. He answered everyone's questions to him, just to help aspiring poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

HajiShirazu
06-19-2004, 02:55 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Negraneau. I like his articles and I don't think he seems like such a bad guy at all.
He does act pretty gay but then again he's the one with the hot asian chick fiance and I'm the one sitting here alone posting on some poker forum somewhere.

jwvdcw
06-19-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, c'mon. That's like using Satan as a metric by which people are measured for being sinners.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

theBruiser500
06-19-2004, 06:15 PM
It wasn't a matter of him being too popular or famous, what he was doing was extremely time consuming and you should just be appreciative that he did it for as long as he did.

uaw420rook
06-19-2004, 07:33 PM
He is good for the World of Poker. He is one of the known players and has done nothing to disgrace the game.

William Wilson
06-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Arrogant. Gay. I don't see a problem with either.

If arrogance is your issue, then I expect you to have the same problems with your friendly forumn sponsors.

If homosexuality is your issue, I suggest you deal with your own sexual fears before blasting those of another.

For a group of people who pretend to be so cerebral, there is plenty of ignorance to wade through here.

Classy.

fnurt
06-20-2004, 12:27 AM
I agree with you, just the other day I was reading the titles of the threads in this forum, and I was like WOW, these people sure act cerebral!

WTF
06-20-2004, 07:37 AM
I've only noticed those strange facial quirks/ticks he exhibits every single time he goes into a think tank. I'll keep an eye out for the hand gestures in the future.

-WTF

jumpthru
06-20-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a matter of him being too popular or famous, what he was doing was extremely time consuming and you should just be appreciative that he did it for as long as he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh jeese, another person thats living his life through a famous person...why dont you just go kiss his feet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beavis68
06-20-2004, 11:17 PM
you know, he is canadian, so give him a break.

I love reading his stuff, but I was really disappointed to actually see him play. He is soooo self asure in his columns, but he acted very insecure at the table, and that hair..... come one dude! You are going bald, man, own it.

Ronin29
06-21-2004, 02:54 PM
I dont like him much at all. Too cocky, just the fact that he would post the all-around player wsop standings on rpg (when he was the leader!) is was enough for me. his comments are almost always self-serving. but of course i read his comments, because they're usually poker related.

other random thoughts on him:

--that asian broad he's paying to be his girlfriend is smoking hot

--he's clearly as gay as sunday

--the facial ticks need some medicating attention

--he's good friends with mike matusow who is absolutely one of the worst individuals in the poker world

--oh yeah, and he is about the best no limit player in the world right now.. along with dan harrington

Daliman
06-21-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Other than a seeming predilection for Asians,( He dated Evelyn Ng too..), DN is nowhere NEAR gay. This is the standard "He frosts his hair, is small, and isn't super-masculine, therefore he is gay" small-minded stupidity. GUARANTEE you that he's had more women than 99% of the posters on here. Also, he's into 2 of the main guy activities; hockey and poker. But that's ok, keep thinking what you like, I'm sure he doesn't care. I get the same thing myself sometimes, then my 5'9" beautiful 132 lb wife with 34C's comes in, and the guys saying that turn around to the bar, order another beer, say I must have money to get a girl like that and it's a cover, and wish they had her, or had even EVER had a girl like her. My son, immaculate conception, of course.
[ QUOTE ]
--the facial ticks need some medicating attention

[/ QUOTE ]

He's expressive. Get over it. You prefer a room full of Dewey Tomko's to watch? Yeah, he's a bit over the top at times, but he's having a good time, and he's nowhere NEAR as bad as Laak or Esfandiari in this respect.
[ QUOTE ]
--he's good friends with mike matusow who is absolutely one of the worst individuals in the poker world

[/ QUOTE ]
Mebbe so, but he's friends with alot of the 25-35 y/o circuit guys, it seems
[ QUOTE ]
--oh yeah, and he is about the best no limit player in the world right now.. along with dan harrington

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to disagree here, although it seems to me Greenstein has the most mojo nowadays from the scuttlebutt.

jumpthru
06-21-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Other than a seeming predilection for Asians,( He dated Evelyn Ng too..), DN is nowhere NEAR gay. This is the standard "He frosts his hair, is small, and isn't super-masculine, therefore he is gay" small-minded stupidity. GUARANTEE you that he's had more women than 99% of the posters on here. Also, he's into 2 of the main guy activities; hockey and poker. But that's ok, keep thinking what you like, I'm sure he doesn't care. I get the same thing myself sometimes, then my 5'9" beautiful 132 lb wife with 34C's comes in, and the guys saying that turn around to the bar, order another beer, say I must have money to get a girl like that and it's a cover, and wish they had her, or had even EVER had a girl like her. My son, immaculate conception, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to break it to ya, but I can GUARANTEE he is gay.

Whats wrong with Mike Matusow.

toots
06-21-2004, 06:01 PM
You guys wanna find a middle ground and accuse him of being bi-?

Seems like it'd cover all arguments.

Sundevils21
06-21-2004, 07:05 PM
how jumpthru, you been with him?

eastbay
06-21-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You had sex with him?

eastbay

uaw420rook
06-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Where is the proof, is it on a dress or something

Vehn
06-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Actually if I was forced to name a "favorite" tournament player I would probably pick Dewey Tomko. Just the way he holds himself is awesome. Hard to explain. Anyone else grok?

JimSardonic
06-21-2004, 08:17 PM
To be honest, I was never threatened by Evan. In fact, watching him improve as a player didn’t upset me at all. I was happy to see him “figure it out.” Watching his improvement as a player made me realize one important thing about poker — one thing of which I had to be aware if I was ever going to be truly successful: Never let your ego interfere with the improvement of your game. Accept the fact that you have much to learn about poker, and that you’ll never truly master the game. At every stage of your poker career, you will continuously be learning. Those who stop learning are left behind.

The words of an arrogant man? I think not...

Negraneau, regardless of sexual preference - or any other "outside influence" - is an excellent poker player. His many posts are incredibly informative, and interesting to read... in fact, I find myself reading through his page more than most other pros.

Why?

Because he offers me the most. His article on tells was a great article, as were the one quoted above ("Old man with an Earring"), along with many others.

It's irrational to bring his arrogance into play, as we all know that poker is a macho game -- which can send us skyrocketing into the stratosphere of chip-laden bliss, or down to the sordid pits of an empty bankroll. For someone's ego to not be involved, is an incredible feat.

If a single instance were to be mentioned (as it was, above) -- the easiest argument would be over his "Not enough to buy a car" comment. What few fail to mention, is that he quickly explained his comments... and they were rational.

In a big tournament, nobody plays to take third, fourth, or worse. Everyone wants to win. With a million dollars at stake, that makes such a victory even more enticing... and being swept up in such a moment (especially after an untold amount of excrutiating poker with the best in the world), can lead a man to improperly speak his words.

What he meant to say, is merely this: "I'm happy to take home sixty-some-odd thousand, but I would much rather have the million."

Wouldn't you?

Give him a chance, you might learn a thing or two.

After all, you're not in his position -- are you?

Sundevils21
06-21-2004, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After all, you're not in his position -- are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way jumpthru is talking, it sounds like he had Danny "in position". /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peter_rus
06-22-2004, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that asian broad he's paying to be his girlfriend is smoking hot

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotta disagree with you here. Evelyn Ng is hot. This other girl is definitely not - her face is nothing special and she appears a bit on the heavy side.

[ QUOTE ]
the facial ticks need some medicating attention

[/ QUOTE ]
When I first brought this up, I really was trying to call attention to his hand movements, as if he was trying to add things up, doing the whole "carry the one" kind of thing that a kid would do in doing simple math. In my mind, tics are involuntary uncontrollable movements - kind of like that annoying thing Patrick Roy (for any hockey fans) always did with his head (I always called it a turkey gobble).

theBruiser500
06-22-2004, 03:56 AM
"Oh jeese, another person thats living his life through a famous person...why dont you just go kiss his feet /images/graemlins/smile.gif"

Oh shut up, that's just a stupid thing to say. I think Negreanu is annoying from what I've seen on TV but not as bad as some of the other people.

SlantNGo
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
What did he say about Annie Duke? Can someone PM it to me?

astroglide
06-22-2004, 01:27 PM
evenlyn ng is not hot, she's just asian and not obese.

Ronin29
06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Rainmaker8,

Just to make sure we are talking about the same girl.. you are telling me this chick isnt good looking???? u gotta be kidding me

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/gallery/album03/Lori_Mike_Mommy_and_Me

astroglide
06-22-2004, 04:50 PM
asian, not obese. WOWIE ZOWIE

Sponger15SB
06-22-2004, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You had sex with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, too funny

blackaces13
06-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Notice the reply underneath the photo?

Your not gay? No offense.

Well there it is. I guess he gets that a lot.

toots
06-22-2004, 07:46 PM
His gay... what?

TracyMiller
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Other than a seeming predilection for Asians,( He dated Evelyn Ng too..), DN is nowhere NEAR gay. This is the standard "He frosts his hair, is small, and isn't super-masculine, therefore he is gay" small-minded stupidity. GUARANTEE you that he's had more women than 99% of the posters on here. Also, he's into 2 of the main guy activities; hockey and poker. But that's ok, keep thinking what you like, I'm sure he doesn't care. I get the same thing myself sometimes, then my 5'9" beautiful 132 lb wife with 34C's comes in,

[/ QUOTE ]

If no one else has beat me too it...PICS???

Bump-en-Stein
06-22-2004, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rainmaker8,

Just to make sure we are talking about the same girl.. you are telling me this chick isnt good looking???? u gotta be kidding me

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/gallery/album03/Lori_Mike_Mommy_and_Me

[/ QUOTE ]

That's his brother? Did their street get a new postman or something?

Ronin29
06-23-2004, 01:19 AM
now that gets a LOL.. I was thinking the same exact thing when I first saw the pic!

baggins
06-23-2004, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you sucked his cock and saved his semen in a jar, you're full of sh!t.

3rdEye
06-23-2004, 04:16 AM
I don't really have a problem with Negraneau. He's annoying sometimes, but he seems to be a generally affable guy, and I think he's good for poker.

I don't get why some people are so miffed with the Annie Duke thing.

3rdEye
06-23-2004, 04:22 AM
I could not have said it better.

Peter_rus
06-24-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll admit she looks slightly better in the picture, but IMO on tv, she's frumpy looking. Not interested at all.

I like Negraneau...there's certainly a lot more annoying players out there than him.