View Full Version : Flopping the nut straight early on with a possible four flush

spacemonkey57
06-17-2004, 11:40 AM
This is a hand from a UB 5+.50 that I'm still playing in. I flopped the nut straight. Was the pot size raise on the turn too much too soon? I didn't want to let two diamonds draw cheaply, but I would have liked to make more off of this. Anyone call the turn and wait for the river to pop it if a diamond doesn't fall? All comments, suggestions, and insults are appreciated. Thanks.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed)

UTG+2 (t850)
MP1 (t1230)
MP2 (t1095)
MP3 (t825)
CO (t895)
Hero (t980)
SB (t910)
BB (t915)
UTG (t1300)
UTG+1 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t40</font>, Hero calls t40, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t20.

Flop: (t150) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets t20</font>, Hero calls t20, UTG calls t20.

Turn: (t210) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, CO calls t150, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t810</font>, UTG folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: t1320
<font color="green">Main Pot: t660 (t660), won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t660 (t660), returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins t1320. </font>

Jason Strasser
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Purdy flop.

I dont really like the call on the flop, because the bet was just too small. If he made a pot bet, I have no problem with calling, and hoping that UTG called as well. However, I'd tend to make a decent reraise here to about 80-100. Then I'd lead the turn. If he bet the pot, I'd call and raise the turn.

If a diamond came it would not slow me down at all unless there were some very unusual betting patterns.

Beavis68
06-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I dont see any reason to get greedy, you took a nice pot.

TL Price
06-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Not this this directly addresses your concern about betting, but I had this hand last night at PokerRoom (on the bubble no less) and was knocked out in 4th.

Had 7-8 clubs on button. Call in an unraised pot with other 2 players and the Big Stack (in SB).

Flop comes 5,6,9 (2 spades).

Large stack (Small Blind) bets 20% of my stack, 1 other call, I move-in. SB calls, remaining player folds.

Of course, he is on a flush draw, and spikes the K of spades on the river /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bottom line, I think if there is any reason to beleive that the opponent is holding a decent 2nd best hand, you can easily put in a pot sized raise. With UTG betting 150 and then throwing away his hand on your turn reraise, I don't think you were going to get anything else. Unless they got help (and you don't want them getting help), it is going to be a double check to you if they don't make their hands on the river and either a large bet or reraise to you if they do.

I would put in a pot sized raise on the turn everytime. I think you made the right move. I am also glad that you won your pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

37offsuit
06-17-2004, 01:43 PM
CO's got to be chasing the flush, so I think this was a pretty good move. Better to win T600 than lose all your chips if the river came with a diamond. You have to make it incorrect for them to chase, especially considering that other hands could have tied you if a Q or K fell on the river as well. This is the second best result you can get, other than someone incorrectly chasing and missing.

spacemonkey57
06-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the inputall. I guess I felt like I should have made more because I'm running so good right now that it seems like I'm always doubling up on hands like this. Ended up second in the tournament.

MercTec
06-17-2004, 02:36 PM
I agree that you made it mathematically incorrect for him to chase for the flush, but I personally think it was a tad overkill. At that point of the two t150 calls, the pot was at t510. Even though its only a $5 tourney, they know they aren't getting pot odds to draw out to have to call and additional t660. I probably make it 600 to go. If i did the math right, I believe that even if they both call the pot odds aren't there. 600 may entice a call for the draw, and if they hit, so what, in the long run thats the right play.

AA suited
06-18-2004, 04:30 PM
i would have raised pot on the flop. i'm just too afraid of the 3rd diamond hitting.

if my pot raise was called, and a 3rd diamond hit on the turn, i would have folded to a big bet.

Does that make me weak/passive???

And what would you done if a 3rd diamond hit on the turn and opponent makes a pot size bet?

spacemonkey57
06-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Early on in the tournament like this with the pot still relatively small if the third diamond had hit on the turn and someone had made a pot sized bet I would have folded without hesitation. I don't know if that makes me weak tight or not.

patrick dicaprio
06-18-2004, 07:02 PM
that is the right play. many times you will get called here becasue he could have AT or AJ and put you on the draw.

Pat